Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day

How could this have happened? How could I have gone almost an entire month without checking in here on the blog? I sure have missed you. Writing a blog is kinda like exercising though. It unfortunately gets down on the list when life gets hectic. But just for the record, I sure do like writing a blog better than exercising- which would explain why I'm sitting here writing instead of walking right now. :)

I'm going to try to have a new philosophy about the whole blogging thing. Instead of waiting until I have a substantial amount of time to write something thought-provoking and with correct grammatical structure, I may just write a little something every night. Oooh, but I may still have to attempt correct grammatical structure. Mrs. Greer, my 7th grade English teacher, still haunts me just a little bit. I will never forget her. She was in her late 20s, tall, dark skin, blonde hair and was always dressed impeccably. I was just in awe of her. And she was so sweet. You know how you are in 7th grade - very impressionable. I loved her so much and she always wore the cutest shoes. Anyway, this may explain my command of the English language . . . or lack of.

Okay, so what have you been up to? I feel like I could probably ramble on for oh, about two hours about what I've been doing but you'd doze off three times and I just can't stand the thought of that.

I'll hit the high points:
Weddings - we have had them. And they have been great. I will say one of them was a learning and growing experience but you know, that's probably always good. So here we are at the end of May and there is a great sense of accomplishment. Our next wedding is June 18th so there is no rest for the weary. We'll start working on that tomorrow.

I don't know about you but I'm gonna rest for a few hours this morning. Friday and Saturday, we put in two long days at a wedding. Yesterday, we went to church; then attended a wedding reception at the Walters Barn in Lula and then to Atlanta for dinner with some friends. I am t-i-r-e-d. And I need to clean my house which after exercising, is what I should be doing right now. Can you tell I'm feeling a little bad about just sitting here? Maybe that will pass in a minute.

Bible study - there is a sense of accomplishment here as well. We completed Priscilla Shirer's "One in a Million" study this month. Let me just say this, I have never been so intrigued, amazed, confused, and awed at the Scripture as I was during this study of the Israelites journey to the Promised Land. I have to admit something right here and now. Throughout most of my early Christian life I thought less of the Old Testament than the New (well, maybe with the exception of Psalms and Proverbs). I thought it was antiquated and boring. How wrong I was!! About ten years ago, I literally fell in love with the Old Testament Scriptures. Wow - is it awesome. God has opened my eyes to the richness and beauty of these books. I can hardly get enough of it. There is so much that God can teach us through it if we'll just let Him. But isn't that true of alot of things?

What is God teaching you today? What is He challenging you with? I'll admit of late, God and I have been struggling a little bit. Ha - I just had to laugh out loud when I realized what I just wrote. I doubt that God is struggling. He's probably up there looking down at me wondering why I am having so many doubts and fears when He is nothing but confident in the plan for my life and the life of my family. So, let me just rephrase that - I have been struggling with some things and have just been crying out to God for some answers. The other night, I was so out of sorts I was practically beside myself. I thought the only thing, the ONLY thing that will make this better is if I read God's Word. I'm a little behind on my chronological Bible reading so I started on that. I found myself right in the midst of Psalms where David is doing guess what? Crying out to God for some answers. Now, while on the surface it might appear that my problems and David's are quite different, maybe just maybe that aren't. David is afraid. David is doubting God. David is feeling alone. Hmmm.
After reading, I felt so much better. No, I still don't have the answers to the questions I have. No, I still don't understand half of what's going on. But you know what? I have a peace. I have a calm. Psalm 145 specifically spoke to my heart. Here's just a snippet:

"The Lord is merciful and compassionate,
slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love.
The Lord is good to everyone.
He showers compassion on all his creation.
All of your works will thank you, Lord,
and your faithful followers will praise you.
Great is the Lord! He is most worthy of praise!
No one can measure his greatness."

One more thing and I'm done for today . . .

Since this is Memorial Day, I just have to mention how much I appreciate the service and sacrifice of the men and women who have served our country. My precious Daddy served in the Army during WWII. He would never talk much about it to me. While I wish he had, I understand it. I just don't think we can imagine the impact war has on the human mind and body.
Lee Greenwood might have said it best:

"I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free. I won't forget the men (and women) who gave that right to me . . . God Bless the USA!"

Have a wonderful Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment