Sunday, November 9, 2014

It's November 2014!

So let's talk a little about November.  I'm pretty sure that things are going to be a little slower for us than the past couple of months but we all know that we are going to be in full holiday mode this month so it's totally possible things might get crazy.

1.  Of course we began the month on Saturday with a big ole Georgia game that went south (literally) in a huge hurry.  Like I said in my last post, our whole little weekend vacay was great it just could have been better with a win.  But that's the way it goes.  In the words of Queen Elsa, we just have to Let It Go.  (Have you noticed it makes me feel better about the whole thing to tie my disappointment to popular songs?).  (I'm weird like that). 

2.  On Monday, D and I took the grandmothers to Blue Ridge to see the new store.  He worked there while us girls took the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway trip.  Oh it was so fun.  We stopped in McCaysville for lunch.  Here are the girls - one in Georgia and one in Tennessee.  A great time was had by all. 

To make a great trip even better, we stopped at Merceirs Orchards after and loaded up on caramel apples, apple pie, and apple butter.  Merceirs is a beautiful orchard with an equally beautiful bakery, store and tasting room (food and wine).  I'm pretty sure I could be happy there for the better part of a day.  To top off our day, I got a text from E that said "why don't y'all come to our house for supper?"   Why yes, we'd looove to!  E cooked up a delicious supper - a perfect ending to a great day!

3.  Tuesday, the 4th was Election Day in Georgia.  This was a huge day for us because of G's role in the whole election process this year.  We were sure we were headed for a run-off but thankfully, that didn't happen.  G has spent the last few days thanking his interns and volunteers, closing up his office and preparing to leave for Louisiana.  Yes, that's right, Louisiana.  It seems that they are in a run-off for a Senate seat there so being the good neighbor that we are, Georgia Republicans are sending their best and brightest off to work in LA.  G will be in Baton Rouge until mid-December.  Of course, the first thing this momma said was "congratulations, be safe and will you be home for Thanksgiving?"  The answer was yes, he can fly home for Thanksgiving.  Big prayers going out for my boy and this adventure. 
On Tuesday night, G was with Gov. Deal in Atlanta and we were in a barn in Commerce with Gary Black.  Gary is a good friend and as you probably know was running for re-election as Georgia Agriculture Commissioner. (He won).   I don't think folks realize the importance of this job to our state.  Because we are in the grocery business we see first-hand how vital our Georgia farmers are to our economy and more importantly, how food safety impacts the lives of the people.  Folks, this is something that we take for granted but the Department of Agriculture does not.  They are serious about it and we should be thankful they are.  (I'll step down off my soapbox now!)
So, anyway, let's talk about the food we ate at this little soiree. (you should have known I would be all about the food).  It might have been the best I've ever eaten.  Seriously.  The meal was catered by Big Daddy.  Well, I had never heard of Big Daddy until Tuesday night but you better believe I won't forget him.  He totally rocked it.  But you know what rocked it more than that?  The desserts that Gary and Lydia's church folks provided.  Yep, that's right, the church cookers made the desserts.  I really shouldn't have to tell you anymore than that but I will ... let's just say there was a Caramel Cake with Caramel Icing that had mini-peanut butter cups in it.  Oh yes.  Then there was a Chocolate Layer Cake that had that cooked chocolate icing on it.  And there was a Banana Pudding with the prettiest meringue I have every seen.  And that's just three of about 30 desserts that were on that table.  If you know me at all, you know that I wanted to talk to each and every one of those church people and get their recipe.  It was the most amazing display of sweetness.  I wish I had taken a picture. 

4.  This weekend we have been surrounded by the beauty of Callaway Gardens.  If you haven't been lately, you should really go.  This place is a forgotten treasure I think.  I know I forget about it until we get here and I realize how fabulous it is.  This weekend is the annual Board Retreat for the Georgia Food Industry Association.  D has been very involved in this organization for many years so it is a treat for us to go and spend time with industry folks who have become friends. 

5.  Well, tomorrow I will embrace my civic responsibility and have jury duty.  Honestly, I know I probably should enjoy the process but I don't.  I'm just praying I don't get called to a jury.  I'll let you know how that goes. 

6.  Saturday is our Big Family Tailgate at Georgia vs. Auburn!    We are hoping this is a game rather than a stompdown.  I know I shouldn't be so negative but I was at the Florida game, remember?  I'm a Dawg fan win or lose but it's just more fun when we win.  But we won't let anything dampen our Tailgate Day!  E and I have made our menu and if I do say so myself, it's the bomb.    More details to follow.

7.  Saturday is also this little squirt's due date.  Yes, our Sadie girl is going to be a momma.  When we went for our sonogram, he said he saw 4 little heartbeats but there could be more.  I can not wait to go and visit the maternity ward and hold her little babies.  Can you just imagine the cuteness? 


Well, I think we'll just stop with that little cutie for now.   There's a lot more month left but let's talk later.    Happy November! 

No comments:

Post a Comment