Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Playing Catch Up!

So I need to give you all an update about several things:
1.  I didn't get picked for jury duty.  I did have to go the jury room but thankfully my number was at the end and by the time they got to the last five of us, they had already selected the jury.  Thank the good Lord above.  That's the good news.
2.  Now for the bad news.  I know this may sound crazy and I'm okay with that but last Tuesday morning I got a bad feeling.  Not a bad feeling like too much guacamole at the Mexican restaurant but a feeling that something bad had happened to Sadie.  She was currently at Holly's house because she likes for them to be there 10 days before the due date.   Now before I go any further, I have had these feelings before about my children.  Like when you feel like something just wasn't right; you don't know exactly what but something is off.  Well, when you're an empty nester, apparently that translates to your dogs.  I'll get to the point in a minute but let me further explain that our older dog, Kirky recently had a emergency hysterectomy due to an internal infection (which I discovered and about sent me over the edge).   This is really probably more than anyone needs to know but that gives you some background as to what might otherwise seem like erratic behavior on my part (not that I'm not prone to erratic behavior but for once this behavior might have been justified).   To the point already.
So sensing something was off, I texted Holly just to see how Sadie was doing.  She immediately called me (not a good sign) and asked if I had already talked to Amber, the young lady who oversees the foster dogs.  I had not.  Holly had asked her to call me but she just hadn't had a chance to yet.  Imagine right now that I'm a basket case.   All of this to say, early Tuesday morning, Holly had heard Sadie whimpering over the baby monitor and thinking she was in labor, got up to check on her.  Oh no, she wasn't in labor.  She was, how do I say this delicately ... having an ugly discharge.  She knew something was bad wrong and called the vet, who said to meet her at the hospital immediately.  Long story not so short, Sadie had an emergency C-section and had miscarried all of her puppies.  Apparently, one had died and poisoned the rest of them (there were 6 puppies total).  My heart was broken for my Sadie.  Holly reassured me that she was doing good and I could come get her in a week and that meanwhile, Sadie would be recuperating in a warm bassinet in her breakfast room.  So yesterday, I went and picked her up and other than one ugly scar on her belly, I am glad to report that our Sadie is doing fine.  She slept under my arm last night.  Bless her heart.  Whew.
3.  Okay, so Saturday was our big Georgia-Auburn Tailgate and let me just say first, we had a great time!  The Dawgs dominated Auburn!  WooHoo!  There are a few things you should know about Saturday:
Yes, it was C-O-L-D, cold.  When we got to our tailgate spot that morning I think it was 28 degrees.  E and N had already been there an hour before us to hold the spot and it was even colder then (thanks for braving the cold, guys!)  We all knew it was going to be cold so we were prepared.  And by prepared I should tell you that on the Wednesday before when I was shopping with a couple of friends at the TJ Maxx in Buford, I bought these.  And I am beyond thankful that I did.  They saved my feet.  Now, while these may not look like the cutest boot on the block, they are fur-lined and water repellent.  And honestly, they are much cuter in person. 

So what does one do when they get to their tailgate spot at 9:30 in.the.dang.morning. and the game is not until 7:15 that night ... well, we watched football on the flat screen... right there in the back of E's Tahoe.  Let's just say that N is the bomb when it comes to anything technological.  So yes, we sat by the heaters, watched football and ate.   It was awesome. 


You can't see it but D was grilling brats when I took this photo.  I adore these two. 


We don't look as cold as we are, do we?  The warmth of the sunshine saved us. 

One of us took a nap.  In his defense, he got up really early and it was a loooonnng day.


This just never gets old ... Saturday Night Lights!


And because you know I'm all about the food and drink, a few of my contributions to the Tailgate were this Breakfast Casserole; Black-eye Pea Salad; and ... get ready for this ... Salted Caramel Bacon Brownies.  Have a mercy, they were as good as they sound. 

Oh and I made this Hot Chocolate and transported it in a hot pot.  It was delish! This recipe can also be made in the slow cooker but I didn't have time for that Saturday morning so I just made it in a big pot and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. 

Hot Chocolate:
Ingredients:
1/2 cup dry baking cocoa
1 can sweetened condensed milk
7 1/2 cups skim milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions:
Put all ingredients in a large pot on medium heat.  Simmer for about 30-45 minutes, stirring constantly.  The milk will scald if you aren't careful.    If using a slow cooker, cook on low for about 3 hours.  Serve with mini-marshmallows.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment