Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A Day in the LIfe

So how about a Day in the Life post today?  

Technically I'm writing this on Monday to be published on Tuesday.  So if the weather tomorrow isn't as beautiful tomorrow as it is today, I don't want you to be confused.  This is what I did today (Monday) not tomorrow (Tuesday) when y'all will read this.   Oh dear, anyway ...

1. Outside my window ... it is just gorgeous.  Yes, it is mid-December and the weather today is just lovely. A little too cool to put my top down but still beautiful.  D always says that I need to clarify that statement so okay ... putting my top down means the top down on my convertible.  Not really like my top as in my clothes.  Maybe only a man would think of that.  Ha!
So far today I've done the radio show and took a little shopping trip to Sims Pottery to pick up scarves for the New Beginnings ladies' Christmas bags.  We are going up tomorrow (Tuesday) night for their annual Christmas party.  This is a highlight of my Christmas season. 
After that I went to Reeves Wholesale to pick up a few things and then to the alteration shop.  Usually I have the dry cleaners do our alterations but this seemed a little complicated.  Last Saturday, Mother wanted to go to the Belk before we went to the drug store, grocery store, etc.  As she was looking for a new necklace (it needed to be long, everything she has is short and with some of her blazers and sweaters she just needs a long necklace but not too long because then it would get in her way and get hung on everything.  So she would need to wear a blazer like she wants to wear with it and go to Belk and try on the various options.  She thought she might want pearls because that would go with just everything but not real pearls, the fake pearls that look like real pearls.  She has real pearls but they're short and she doesn't want to buy anymore real ones).  So now you know where the over-explaining gene may have come from.  :) 
So we went to Belk with the other 10,287 people who were Christmas shopping.  I really needed to get a couple of gifts so going to Belk was actually fine with me.   After I had purchased the two gifts I needed, Mother was still in the jewelry department so I thought I would just walk around.  I found myself at the sale rack and by sale rack, I mean the one where it says "50% off, take an extra 40% off."  Well, they might as well just give it to me.  And there it was ... just the cutest top - black with white polka dots ... and it was kinda a sweatshirt fabric but in a dressier way ... and it was super comfy.  However, it had a band at the bottom.  I really do not like anything that has a band at the bottom.  So, I had the bright idea to have the super-smart alteration lady take the band off.  And given what I paid for it, I felt like I could justify the alteration costs.  So that is why I was at the alteration shop today.  
After that I called G to see what he was doing because it was around lunch time and I thought he might want to go.  He was headed to Atlanta to follow up about a job (big prayers for this! - hopefully more later) but he didn't have to be there until mid-afternoon so he would love to go with his momma to lunch.  I was having a major hankering for Little Italy's garden salad (the best!) and piece of pizza lunch special.  G was good with that so I was just pleased as I could be that we had the spur-of-the-moment opportunity to chat over salad and pizza.
After that I came home to pick up a Red Velvet Peppermint Pound Cake that I had made and took it to the staff at The Times.  These folks have been super kind to me over the past year allowing me to live my dream of writing and sharing recipes so the least I could do was make them one of my signature Christmas cakes. 
So now, I'm home.  After this, I'll make two recipes for the blog/radio show next week and then cook supper.  And speaking of the paper, in between I've got to start working on next week's article.  I have no idea what that's going to look like so I might ought to give that some thought.

2. I'm watching ... There are two new shoes this season that we just love.  Of course, we still watch Castle, Dancing with the Stars, Scandal, Duck Dynasty, Nashville, Shark Tank ... all of regular favorites but we are really liking the Goldbergs and Madame Secretary.  If you lived through the 80s and especially if you raised your children in the 80s, you will love The Goldbergs.  Interestingly, the show is based on the writers family and experiences.  I don't know how many times we've been watching it and D has said to me, "didn't you have a sweater like that?"  We literally laugh out loud every time we watch it. 
And of course, for my politics-loving husband, Madame Secretary is a sure winner.  I actually really like it, too.  It follows the professional and personal life of the US Secretary of State, played by Tea Leoni.  Very interesting from the viewpoint - is this what the real Secretary of State does everyday? and then how she balances a home, husband and 3 children.  Plus she's involved in a murder investigation of the former Secretary of State. That's a surprise, I know. 

3.  I'm reading ... well, this time of year, I'm a sucker for Christmas fiction.  So I just downloaded on my Kindle Paperwhite "Candlelight Christmas" by Susan Wiggs and "Tis the Season" by Robyn Carr.  I'm not far enough into either one of them to give you a review.  I also just downloaded, based on a recommendation of a friend, "The Power of a Woman's Words" by Sharon Jaynes.  I figure this one would be a good one for me as I'm constantly spewing words everywhere.

4.  I'm wearing ... I'm totally obsessed right now with a grey fur vest that I got at Target a couple of weeks ago.  I think I've worn it about 8 times since I got it.  It's so comfortable.  What do you think?



I've worn it with skirts, leggings, jeans, black pants ... with a scarf, with a statement necklace ... with a grey chambray shirt, grey turtleneck, black blouse, black tunic, and my Riley Clay "He is Enough" shirt, just to name a few.  This is my favorite piece of clothing right now.
Today I have it on with grey leggings, grey/black leopard print flats, the grey chambray shirt, a grey/black plaid scarf and a black tunic. 

5.  I am thinking ... about Christmas.  How I'm doing "Christmas-lite" this year and really enjoying it.  Believe it or not, the only decorating I have done is my tree.  That's it.  Can you believe it?  Next year, I'm sure I'll be back in full force but for this "season," I'm streamlining.

6.  I'm working on ... the January Bridal Show, recipes for January and my column for next week.  I had just the best meeting with the sweetest bride and her mother last Saturday morning.  She's not getting married until next May ( I now have 3 weddings in May) but it was so fun to talk about all of her plans. 

7.  I'm cooking .... about a dozen desserts this week.  These desserts are going about 10 different places.  Thank goodness none of them are staying here with me. 

8.  I'm looking forward to ... Wednesday evening when my family comes together for the Christmas Communion Service at church.  It is hands down my favorite event of the season.  I'm also looking forward to the John Berry concert and a great evening with some dear friends on Thursday;  to this weekend in Tennessee with D's family; to Christmas morning and to January 3rd (when we'll leave for the beach). 

So that's what's in my head for today.  What a random group of thoughts.  :)

Happy Tuesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment