Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Good Man

When I looked at the date of  my last posting, my heart sank.  I know why January 4th was my last post because on January 5th, our world shifted, changed, skewed to a new normal.  One that frankly, we wish we could change.  But we can't. On January 5th, I lost one of the greatest men I have ever known, my father-in-law, Johnnie Wiley. 

I've put this blog post off not knowing what to say because I just don't know what is appropriate.  The emotions are so overwhelming that here almost a month later, I can hardly order my thoughts.  But because this blog exists to document my life, I'm going to try to share a few things.

Some of you know mine and D's dating story.  We were on the fast track.  We met in January, were engaged in March, and married in June.    I know.   I'm not sure I would recommend this for other folks but it felt right for us.  We were living in Illinois at the time and were married there so I hadn't had the chance to spend a lot of time with D's parents up to this point.  I immediately liked them but just didn't really know them very well yet.  But on our wedding day, Johnnie said something to me, a girl he barely knew, that I will never, ever forget.  While taking family photos, it was time for those with the parents.  I said to Johnnie, "come stand by me for this one" and he looked me square in the eye and said, " I will always stand by you.  No matter what happens in this world, I will always be here for you."   
Those words are seared in my memory forever. 

Johnnie never made me feel like I was a daughter-in-law but a daughter. I felt as equally loved as his own children.  One of our pastor friends who knew Johnnie well described him as inclusive and that is so true.  Johnnie was the same whether he was talking to an influential business leader or the 92-year-old lady who came down Aisle 1 of the grocery store on a Saturday morning.  I observed him on many occasions and while he was often a man of few words, those words were always sincere and thoughtful. 

He was one of the smartest men I have ever known.  One thing that impressed me most about him was that he was a lifelong learner.  Never, ever did he stop reading and learning.   He enjoyed researching a variety of topics but especially anything that had to do with business, farming or politics.  While you might not agree with his political opinions, he always knew the facts.   He understood how things worked and if there was something that he didn't know, he found out.  The past few years, he had learned how to use the internet and that just opened up a whole new world of information for him.  He would find something interesting and the whole family would get an email from him about it.   It is a just a great reminder to all of us that no matter how old you are, you should always be willing to learn.

I am so thankful that he was my children's grandfather.  My own daddy died in 1996 so E or G never really knew him.  That just breaks my heart to this day because he would have adored my children.  Because of that, I am so thankful they had Johnnie in their lives.   He poured into them his wisdom, knowledge and love.  I never will forget when E was born.  She was the first grandchild on both sides so it goes without saying how much she was doted on.  Johnnie would do just about whatever she wanted to do whether it was playing with dolls, fishing on the dock or riding in the golf cart.   For the past year or so, E has worked right across the hall from him.  He would bring flowers to all of the ladies in the office out of his garden but by his own admission, the prettiest flowers would go to E. 
G and Johnnie had a pretty special bond.  They were fortunate to spend a lot of time together.  Johnnie basically taught G to drive because the summer before his 16th birthday, he spent every Tuesday with Johnnie.  Wherever Johnnie went, that's where G went - to work, to a meeting, to the farm - and G drove Johnnie's truck.  Johnnie and G had a lot of good talks about life.   He taught my children well.

Both of my children clearly loved him dearly.  He was a great example to them of a godly man living a godly life, leaving a godly legacy.

And I loved him dearly.  I am so thankful and beyond blessed that I knew him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment