Sunday, February 2, 2014

It's February 2nd, 2014!

Y’all I really do think about writing on this blog every single day but somehow the days go by and it doesn’t happen. On January 1st, I thought okay, new year, great time to post on the blog and now it’s February. How did that happen anyway? So far, we are two days into this month and I have loved every single minute of it. January, traditionally, has not been a great month for our family so once it ends, I’m kinda relieved. January was super busy and culminated with two big events on the last weekend: a large catering job for First Baptist Church’s Women’s Retreat on Saturday and the Bridal Expo on Sunday. It was an amazing weekend and everything went off without a hitch. But whew, I’m glad it’s a success in the rear view mirror.

So February the love month. Let’s talk about it. Well, let’s start with Friday, which was technically January 31st. We went out on the town with some friends for pizza and salad at one of favorite local restaurants, Atlas Pizza and then onto the movies. We saw, “Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit.” And it was about 10 kinds of good. Based on a Tom Clancey novel, it had action, suspense, and a really good plot. I loved it.

And speaking of movies I love, everyone should go see “Frozen,” no matter what your age. It is absolutely the most beautifully animated movie with the best soundtrack I think I have ever seen and heard. It’s amazing. It’s worth your time and hard-earned money.

So back to the weekend. On Saturday night, one of G’s high school buddies was coming through Athens. His band, The Dirty Bourbon River Show, was opening for another band, The Soul Rebels at The Melting Point. So D and I headed down to meet G and a few of his friends there. Both of these bands originate in New Orleans. Why does it seem great music just comes out of New Orleans naturally. Is it because Harry Connick, Jr. is from New Orleans and he is beyond amazing? (I could chase yet another rabbit here and tell you that he, along with his chemistry with Jennifer and Keith have totally renewed my faith in American Idol but I’ll save that commentary for another day). Anyway, in my mind New Orleans = great music. These two bands did not disappoint. And why do I love bands with horns so much? I’ll tell you of all the wedding bands, I’ve ever heard (and I have heard a bunch of wedding bands), hands down, the best ones have horn sections. So suffice it to say, this old married couple was out on the town two nights in a row and could not have been happier about it. 

So that brings us to today, Groundhog Day and Super Bowl Sunday. Would you believe that I actually saw a real live groundhog on Friday morning? The segment before mine on the radio was with the local community zoo up in White County and they were live in the studio with a groundhog. He was pretty cute for a rodent. I didn’t get too close because I was wearing a sweater with a fur collar and I was afraid he would think we were of like kind and who knows what would have happened. Apparently Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow which means we’ll have six more weeks of winter. I’m beginning to think that groundhogs might know more about the weather than the weather folks. That remains to be seen. So after church, we headed home to prepare for our Super Bowl watching festivities which all that really means is that I started cooking a few goodies. We had chili, chicken wings/drumettes, Huddle Up Dip, chips and chocolate chip cookies. It was a football feast in our eyes. I do have a few observations about this Big Game:

1. I really like Peyton Manning (and all of those Mannings for that matter) so I hated for the Broncos to lose. But great day, had they ever played football together before? I’ve never seen a professional football team fall so flat.

2. I thought Bruno Mars did a fabulous job for the halftime show. I was reading in Sports Illustrated this week about the history of the halftime show and the challenges the producers face. It’s been 10 years since the Wardrobe Malfunction. Can you believe it? It seems like yesterday.

3. I had great expectations for the commercials because you would think that paying millions of dollars for 30 seconds of air time would raise the bar. Apparently not. I have never been so disappointed in Super Bowl commercials in all my life. I was super hyped for the Full House reunion. That was a fail. There was but one memorable commercial and it will come as no surprise that it involved the Clydesdales and puppies. Budweiser is not stupid, my friends.

4. Maserati was one of the official sponsors of the Super Bowl. Does it seem strange to anyone else that a company whose least expensive car is $65,000 sponsors the Super Bowl? I’m thinking Doritos and Coke are great s sponsors because most of the folks watching the Super Bowl are like me, they are eating chips and drinking a diet Coke sitting on their couch in their stretch pants. They aren’t thinking, doggone, I was going to go and get me one of those Maseratis this afternoon but ran out of time. But then again, I don’t really run with a lot of folks who drive Maseratis so what do I know. Maybe some people really think that. 

The absolute best part of the game was watching it with the whole family. We had such a great time! Perfect ending to a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment