Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Snow Day!

As I write this we are in the midst of a “Catastrophic Ice Storm Event,” at least that’s what Glenn Burns calls it and I believe everything Glenn Burns says. I mean he is an Atlanta institution and he, along with Karen Minton (who is 60, by the way – doesn’t she look great for 60?) are the dream team of meteorologists. As of right now, everything they have told us would happen, has happened. We got some snow yesterday, then it stopped. Then it started raining/snowing last night. However, supposedly, there is ice on the way, and that is going to be the “catastrophic part.” I’m just praying my family gets home safe. D and E are both at the store because we apparently have adopted the postal system’s motto “neither snow, nor rain or gloom of night” will keep us from providing groceries to our community. While we don’t think that most folks will get out and get groceries (surely not), we do know that the emergency workers, police and fire responders as well as power company employees and others who are working out in this might need food. We will provide for them as long as possible today and tomorrow. Our store managers and some employees have stayed in local hotels. D and E have been picking up employees in G’s 4-wheel drive vehicle most of the morning. They’ll take them back home tonight. It’s just what we do. 

Well, if all had gone as planned, I would have finished my “talk” to the Commerce Club by now and that would be a done deal. But our meeting was cancelled and I’m rescheduled for March. The only problem with that whole scenario is that my talk was on Valentine’s Day. So I now have no idea what I’ll talk about in March. Somehow talking about all things Valentines might not pack the same punch in March. I’ll have to give that some thought. 

So let’s talk about the weekend, E and I had so much fun on Saturday preparing for E’s good friend Ashley’s baby shower. We made tissue paper pom-poms, pennants, cute tags for the favors, as well as the punch, food and more food. It was a blast and I loved being crafty with my girl. The shower was precious. E really did a great job of pulling it all together with a fun and decorative touch. After the shower on Sunday, D and I went to our Sunday School Valentine’s Party. We had the best time with the best friends. It was so much fun! We played charades with a “love song, movie or book” theme and I’m proud to report that D and I came in next to last place out of a group of about 15 couples. Apparently, charades is not our strong suit. 

Monday I was preparing for the upcoming storm, which meant I was grocery shopping and cooking. I made several things to take to my momma Monday night so she would have plenty to eat just in case we couldn’t get out. So today has been spent enjoying the beauty of the snow; cooking sausage and grits for breakfast; and baking
Toffee Blondies for a snack. I’m thinking now I’ll finish my book, “When Wallflowers Dance” in preparation for next week’s ladies retreat. Then I’m going to tackle some paper work (maybe) and then I’m going to get in the kitchen. This weather just makes me want to cook more than usual. You know, a snow day isn’t a bad thing as long as it comes along only once a year. Stay safe and warm out there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment