Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Sanguine in All of Us

So today I've been holed up in this house working on the solitary work of preparing a newspaper column and a speaking engagement. When I had my personality type evaluated several years ago, it was determined that I tend to be more on the Sanguine side of the spectrum. All that means is I talk more than I think. Or I talk before I think. Or I talk and don't think. All of the above are true. Suffice it to say that I like to talk. A lot. Somebody has to do it. Anyway, it's an odd correlation to me that a talker would be a writer. But I love to write. The only thing is I have to be alone to write. Now I know that some folks go to Starbucks or Panera or somewhere like that but goodness gracious, I would be so distracted at who was getting a latte, macchiato, or cinnamon crunch scone that I would never in my days get a dang thing accomplished. So... I write at home by myself. It's a lonely life. (not really, I was being dramatic. I'm also prone to going overboard on the drama, too. I'm a very complicated personality). 

So Monday there is a Times column due and Wednesday there is a speaking thingy to do. Both of these will have a Valentine's theme. Because, tis the season. (and that's what they asked me to write and speak about). I'm just flattered that they all think I have something worth writing and speaking about. But I love Valentine's Day. I've resisted the urge to become cynical in my old age about what some would consider a card-shop-created holiday. We so what if it is? Is that so bad? If it causes one man who might not otherwise remember to think of his woman with a card, nice dinner or weekend away, well yes, it is absolutely okay with me to have such a holiday. I personally remember all of my loved ones, especially my widowed mother and mother-in-law. This has to hard for them although I've never heard them say that. I think they just don't give it much thought. Or maybe they do. Either way, I think they need a little something on this day.

The good news is that I've pretty much completed both of my tasks for today. The deadline for the newspaper article is Monday so I'll have time to send it to my proofreaders (E, G and D) for any corrections. I'll meet with E tomorrow to go over the notes for Wednesday's speech (that sounds like I'm going to give the State of the Union Address or something. It's more like talking - see I'm good at that). We are going to brainstorm about ideas for a Power Point to go along with it, as she is totally the creative genius behind that.  


On another note, D is flying back from Kansas City today where it snowed and reached a balmy high of 7 yesterday. Thank you, Jesus, I live in Georgia.   


On yet another note, I had lunch with a close friend yesterday who is thinking about taking a major step into a new professional venture. And it's a big step that could reap great rewards. I'm so proud of my friend. I've been reading the book "When Wallflowers Dance" by Angela Thomas in preparation for our Bible study intensive at our church the end of this month. In this book, Angela talks about women living out their "dance" with Jesus and not just staying on the sidelines of life. My friend is truly living her dance with Jesus, contemplating a big change but with much prayerful consideration. She's asked me to join her in prayer and possibly in this venture. I'm honored to be asked to do both. You go, girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment