Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Meals on Monday on Tuesday

I was going to write this post yesterday and then I decided to clean a closet; finish up and send a column for the newspaper; research some recipes; clean out the garage; and cure the common cold. Oh wait.  Not quite but I did get distracted and totally forgot that I really wanted to do a post called Meals on Monday.  Creative, right?  So what if it's Tuesday.    You know that I talk about, write about , and generally spend A LOT of my time with food.  Which I guess when you go into a marriage with a grocery man that is somewhat expected.  So sign me up ... I knew what I was getting into.  But I'm constantly thinking about what the next recipes will be, making lists, shopping for ingredients and yes, doing the actual cooking.  And while many of the recipes over on cookingwithcrevolyn are what we are actually eating on a given week, sometimes I mix it up a little.  So I thought it might be fun to document what I'm cooking.  So here we go ...

D had been out of town on business over the weekend which included a snow storm, delayed flight, then another flight and let's just say, he was very glad to be home.  So I decided I would cook up something good (for him) and easy (for me). I made these Chicken and Pineapple Sliders (recipe on the blog) and they were delish!  I just served them with our favorite little fruit, Halos.   In case you are unfamiliar, they are a sweet, seedless, easy to peel, mini-orange. We eat these all the time.  D told me that they are almost at the end of their season so I am practically overdosing on them since I won't be able to get them soon.  That was our Sunday supper!



So on to Monday.  Last night I decided to try a recipe I've been seeing all over Pinterest.  If you're on Pinterest you know how some recipes just keep coming to the top of your page all of the time.  Well, I kept seeing this one and of course, I had to make it my own.  It was wonderful!  I served it with baked sweet potatoes and slaw.  If you're wondering, the hoisin sauce is an Asian barbeque sauce and is very tasty.  

Honey Garlic Chicken
3 large bone-in, skinless chicken breasts (2 1/2 to 3 pounds total)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup blackberry jam
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes - if you don't like the "kick" these give, you can easily leave them out
Directions:
Arrange the chicken breasts in the slow cooker so that they are not overlapping.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, blackberry jam, hoisin, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes, and then pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and cook the chicken on LOW for 4 to 5 hours until the chicken is fully cooked.

So now it's Tuesday and this is what we we're having for supper tonight: 
Shrimp Cobb Salad with Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette.    
Ingredients:
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined and de-tailed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Ole Bay seasoning
6 slices of bacon crumbled ( we personally love the pepper bacon)
3 large boiled eggs, diced
2 avocados, diced
6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1 small can shoepeg corn
1 cup feta cheese (can use blue cheese or goat cheese)
Dressing:
1 cup chopped cilantro (remove stems)
juice of one lime
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cloves garlic minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  In a large bowl, toss together the shrimp, olive oil and Ole Bay seasoning.  Place shrimp on baking sheet.   Bake for 4-5 minutes until shrimp are pink. 
For dressing:  Put all ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix with an electric mixer just until combined. 
To serve, divide lettuce on individual serving plates and top with rows of shrimp, bacon, eggs, avocados, corn and cheese. 
Drizzle with vinaigrette. 




Wednesday
I'm going with an old favorite today, Italian Beef Sandwiches, Baked Beans, and potato salad. 

Thursday:
Another tried and true family favorite:   Red Beans and Rice with Sausage

Friday
How about Fish Friday?  We love Fish Tacos in our family.  It's quick, easy and healthy.  This recipe calls for salsa but I will substitute some fresh Pico de Gallo I think this time.  I'm also going to make this Beef Enchilada Dip to go with it! 

Ingredients:
·         1 ½ pounds ground beef
·         ½ medium onion
·         2 cloves garlic, minced
·         2 cups enchilada sauce
·         1 cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese
·         1 cup grated cheddar cheese
·         Sour cream, optional
·         Tortilla chips
Directions:
1.        Brown ground beef in a large skillet.  Drain the beef.  Add in onion and garlic and cook until tender.
2.       Stir in enchilada sauce and top with grated cheese.  Cover to allow cheese to melt, about 3 minutes
3.       Top with sour cream and serve with tortilla chips.  


Okay and what we've all been waiting for .... the Dessert of the Week!  Before I tell you about it, you won't want to miss the dessert over on the CookingwithCrevolyn blog on Friday. Check out the recipe for Texas Sheet Cake Cookies.  You'll want to make them ...and eat them. 

I made this pie yesterday and it is so very good.  My husband deemed it a "keeper."  It's a no-bake, well you have to bake the crust, if you're using frozen or refrigerated and toast the coconut.  Take the time to toast the coconut.  It makes all the difference.    I think next time I'll try it with a graham cracker crust. 

Coconut Fudge Pie
Ingredients:
1 deep dish pie crust
1 (8-ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup powdered sugar
2 2/3 cups Cool Whip, divided
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
1 1/2 cups milk
1 (3.4 ounce) package chocolate fudge instant pudding mix
Directions:
1.  Bake the pie crust according to package directions. Cool completely. 
2.  Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until creamy.  Add 2/3 cup Cool Whip and beat together.  Stir in 1 cup coconut.  Spread in the bottom of the pie shell.
3.  Whisk together the milk and pudding mix.  Put in the refrigerator for 3-5 minutes.  Spoon gently on the top of the coconut filling.
4.  Spread the remaining coconut on a large baking sheet.  Bake in a 400 degree oven for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Watch carefully so it doesn't burn.  Cool.
5.  Sprinkle 1/2 cup coconut on the chocolate filling; then spread remaining Cool Whip on top of that.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup coconut.  Store in the refrigerator. 



Doesn't that look amazing?  and it is!  So that's what we're eating around the Wiley house this week.  What about you?  What's cooking in your kitchen?

 





No comments:

Post a Comment