Wednesday, March 5, 2014

What I Love about March 2014

So March.  Here we are.  Already two months of 2014 in the books and wow, it's already been a fun ride.  Life is just an interesting journey every day, isn't it?  How we get to where we are never ceases to amaze me.  What you thought you would be doing last year at this time is in no way sometimes where we are today.   I know, some days stink.  (trust me, I've had the stomach virus since Saturday. I know all too well).  But most days are just the best combination of fun, work, life-giving to others and learning.  My precious father-in-law taught me years ago to never stop learning.  There is just so little that I know.   Yes, some days I think I know it all but I guarantee that's so not the case.  So the point? Never ever stop learning.  I've even been reading about Russia and Ukraine today trying to figure out what's going on over there.  Have mercy, this is a great big world.

I was so looking forward to last Saturday to have a few hours at home to catch up on some much needed housework, bills, etc.  You know, that usual Saturday stuff.  However, my plans changed when a friend called to ask me to go with her to see something fun.  Of course, I'll go.  Then G says, let's go to Dawsonville to the Outlet Mall and do a little shopping.  And let's call Nana to go with us.  And then let's call Dad to meet us for supper.  And oh, let's take Sadie because I don't want to leave her by herself all evening.  Now, seriously, how could I refuse that offer?  Well, okay.  That trumps housework any ole day.  So that's how March started off but then it. hit.  You know. It.  The dreaded stomach virus. So I stayed in bed for the next two days.  I got out last night for the first time since Saturday.  Today, I'm still not feeling great but much better.  Having something like that makes you realize just how much you appreciate your health.  Thank you Lord for healing and feeling good! 

So that bring us to today and what I LOVE about March, 2014!
1.  The Big Green Egg cooking class at Cook's Warehouse last night was awesome.  So pretty much this is my new favorite thing.  If you can't find me, please just call any Cook's Warehouse location and I'll be there.  A little back story ... when choosing Christmas gifts for family members these days, we like to do "experiences."  Like D got me the Jennifer Nettles tickets for last month's concert, I got him Big Green Egg cooking lessons at Cook's Warehouse.  We don't need much stuff.  We just like to do things together.  Honestly, I wasn't at the top of my eating game to enjoy all of the delicious things he cooked on the Egg but everyone else seemed to enjoy it.  And we learned a lot.  Even though I didn't feel great, I sure got excited about the dessert he made on the BGE.  He took Granny Smith Apples, cut them in half and cored them.  Then added a fun-size Snickers bar and smushed in the spot where the core was.  Laid them in an aluminum pan.  Then took panko crumbs and Parmesan cheese and sprinkled over them.  Then drizzled with butter and put those on the Egg for about 20 minutes.  Judging by my husband and everyone else's reaction in the class, he pretty much created a dessert they'll serve in heaven.  I can't wait to try it.
2.  Tonight is our Family Birthday Celebration for E's 28th Birthday!  Traditionally this is when I cook E's favorite things and everyone comes to our house for dinner.  But since the plague hit me, we are going to go to Plan B.  Some sweet person in a restaurant is going to cook for us and make E feel special instead of me.  Honestly, I'm thinking next week (when hopefully I can eat more than a popsicle),  I'll cook up her favorite meal.  I just can't stand not cooking for my girl.
3.  Friday, March 7th, E will officially be 28 years old.  I'm just not sure where the time has gone.  What a blessing she is.  We are headed to Athens for a little family fun (I'll share more about that later - I told you that our gifts these days are experiences) on Friday evening.  Can't wait to celebrate her special day!
4.  Saturday is New Beginnings Day!  This rolls around about every quarter and I couldn't be more excited to go see our friends there and love on them awhile.
5.  Wednesday, the 12th, I'll speak to the Commerce Club.  Our date last month was cancelled because of the snow event.  Of course, I was going to speak last month about Valentine's Day but I'm pretty sure that is old news now.  I think we'll talk about Spring.  That's a wonderful subject!
6.  Next Friday, the 14th, we'll head to Illinois for our dear friends' son who will be getting married.  We've been gone from Illinois for almost 30 years but have been lost touch with special friends.  We're so excited to be getting to be a part of this very special time for them.
7.  On the 19th, I'll take the speaking platform again ... at Brenau University.  I'll be speaking to Bruce Burch's event planning class. I'm really look forward to being in the college setting again.   It's always interesting to get a bunch of college students opinion on what you're doing.
8.  Tis the season for showers.  I have three to attend in the next two weeks but what a joy to celebrate brides and babies.
9.  Wedding season is in full swing as we have two weddings in April and one in May.  So lots of planning meetings, tastings and paperwork is going on right now for those.  What a blessing to continue to be able to do what I love in the wedding business.
10.  My daddy would have been 90 on March 9th.  I can't say much about this.  I already have big tears in my eyes.  I just can't imagine how much he would have enjoyed being a part of what is happening in our lives, especially E and G.  He was always my biggest cheerleader.  Honestly, I can see him now, getting out of his car in his coveralls, checking everything in my yard to see if anything needed to be fixed or painted; walking into my garage to see if my car needed anything done to it (he was a mechanic by trade) and then in my house asking for a cup of coffee ... before he started any of those so-called projects that needed  to be done.  What a wonderful man he was.  I miss him every single day.  Happy Birthday, Daddy.  Love, your baby girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment