Monday, November 23, 2009

Oh Come All Ye Thankful

The first words spoken yesterday in our worship service by our Minister of Music were “are you thankful you live in a country that sets aside time to be thankful?” Amen. Yes, I am. So in the spirit of this week dedicated to thankfulness, I’ll share just a few of the many things I am thankful for:

1. That there is a merciful God in heaven who has prepared a way for us to meet Him there someday; who loves us with a love we can’t imagine; and who wants more than anything for us to have an intimate, life-depending relationship with Him. Praise Him! He has already overcome the world!
2. That my family and I are healthy today. That may change tomorrow, but for today, we are. That is a blessing I don’t ever take for granted. My heart is so tender for those who are suffering. May God give them strength, comfort and hope.
3. That I have a husband who loves me. We’ve had some huge bumps along this journey of marriage, but thankfully, because our God is the God of miracles today and everyday, we are happier than we have ever been.
4. That I have the most fabulous of children. I know, all mothers say that but it is absolutely true in my case. Now, don’t get me wrong, they aren’t perfect because they have some big time imperfect parents but hands down, I wouldn’t trade them for the world.
5. That I live in a country where we are free. No, freedom is not free. Many are making great sacrifices every day for our freedom.
6. That I am a member of a church that believes that Jesus Christ is the one and only Son of God and that He is the only way to the Father in Heaven. And preaches it.
7. That we are working. That God allows our family businesses to continue. I pray that we are good stewards of what He has given us.
8. That I have parents who show me unconditional love and that they saw the importance of raising me to love Jesus.
9. For friends who model true friendship every day. Thankfully, they choose to see the best of me and overlook the rest. Oh. My. What a blessing.
10. Oddly enough, for the rough spots in this journey of life. James 1:2-4 says “consider it pure joy when you face trials of many kinds, because the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete not lacking anything.” Life is hard but we have a Savior who never leaves us or forsakes us.
11. For God’s Word. It is life to a hungry soul.

Now for the “lighter” side of thankfulness:
12. Kenra Hair Spray –I don’t believe I would ever go out in public again if I did not have it. It works miracles. Miracles I tell you.
13. Air conditioning! Oh. Yes.
14. The washing machine and dryer . . . and the dishwasher, and the oven and the microwave, and . . . I could go on and on. These modern day conveniences should not be taken lightly in my book. If your washer has ever been broken for more than two days, you know what I’m talking about.
15. My cell phone. I fully realize that they can be the most annoying things in the entire universe at times but if you’ve ever had a 16 year old leave in their car for the first time, or a son in college many hours away from home and you want to know he is okay, or a daughter driving home by herself from Atlanta late at night after class – you understand.
16. Diet Coke over ice from the fountain. I’ve told ya’ll this before, there is nothing better.
17. Milkshakes from Chick-fil-A. You do know that the Peppermint Chocolate Chip Milkshake is now available. I fully plan on having one of these this weekend – just to get in the spirit of Christmas, of course.
18. Spanx. These little jewels have changed the world of many a woman. Me included.
19. Books. I love to read and a book that comes to life is a massage for my mind and soul. What I’m reading right now? “Can Martha Have a Mary Christmas?” by Brenda Poinsett. And for fun, the last installment of the Sweet Magnolias series, “Welcome to Serenity” by Sherryl Woods.
20. Oh and speaking of massages, that’s another thing. Pedicures. Oh, yes. Thankful I am. My Secret Sister gave me a gift certificate for one for my birthday. Already been – it was fabulous.

Well, that’s the first 20. I’ll be sharing more this week. But in the meantime, I hope for you a most blessed Thanksgiving week.

No comments:

Post a Comment