Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thankful for Another Birthday

Well, it came and went and I don’t feel any different. The big birthday, that is. I know ya’ll may get tired of hearing about how wonderful my husband is – but it is a fact. He is wonderful. Since he knew this was quite the milestone, he went to great lengths to make it extra-special. During the day of my birthday, he delivered a huge bouquet of flowers to our house while E and I were gone to lunch. That evening, he took me out to dinner at a very romantic restaurant downtown. It just so happened that this was the first night that the restaurants and shops were open on Thursdays nights for Christmas shopping. Santa was there. There were horse and carriage rides. There were carolers. And did I mention the shops were open? He was so sweet to treat me to a little surprise at one of my favorites. It was glorious walking around the square with him, chill in the air, the lights on the trees sparkling, carolers singing.

Well, little did I know that my birthday celebration was not to end there. Imagine my surprise when some friends decided, with a little nudge from my family, that in order to make me feel a little better about the whole “age situation” (as we like to call it), that they would go to great lengths to make me feel young. You just can’t imagine what they did . . . they all dressed up like “old folks.” And I mean old folks. They put gray in their hair! (which is really so funny since we are all trying so hard to cover it up !) Wore toupees! Wore support hose! Wore their mother’s shoes and jewelry! Painted wrinkles on their face! Wore their pants up under their arms! And brought their bag full of pills and fiber! It was simply hilarious.


This was my face when I realized the surprise was on me.




Can I just tell you how funny these two were? They are some of our dearest friends. And you really wouldn’t know it by looking at this photo, but they are quite beautiful and handsome under all of this.




Many thanks to my sweet husband and children for making this birthday so special. My girl even made an amazing chocolate cake for all to enjoy. Many thanks to my friends who ran the risk of public embarrassment in order to make me feel young. It so worked but not just for the reason you might think. You all made me feel young because of the love and laughter we shared. (okay, I’ll admit, the support hose and saggy chest helped). Age is, after all . . . just . . a . . number – so they say. I hear you. I don’t feel any older than I did 20 years ago. I am just truly overwhelmed with the blessing of my life – my marriage, children, family and friends. Grateful? Yes. Blessed? Yes. Thankful? Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment