Saturday, September 25, 2010

Update and What I Do to Deal with It

Well, I had high hopes this week of many blog posts about our trip as well as lots of other very "important" things but somehow reality hit and well, let's just say, other things were WAY more really important.

D and I received the phone call that no parent wants to get this week. G had been involved in a car accident. PRAISE GOD, he wasn't hurt seriously. When I finally saw him, I just cried and cried. Then I went to the lot where his truck had been towed, I cried some more. I can't really put into words how, as a momma, I feel knowing that it could have been so much worse. This is the second time in three months that I have been to this wrecker company's lot to see my child's totaled vehicle. Oh dear Lord, please, I don't want to go again. I am thankful that both of my children's vehicles were well made, steel boxes that protected them from harm. I also believe in God's great provision that spared my boy and my girl. I have prayed for a hedge of protection over my children all of their lives - physically, spiritually and emotionally. Thank you God for an answered prayer.
I have a unique way of dealing with stress in my life. I cook. I believe somehow, a good home-cooked meal and/or dessert can make all things better. So Thursday night, I made Bacon Cheeseburger Meat Loaf (Paula Deen's recipe), mashed potatoes and peas. I comfort favorite of my boy. My recent goal has been to try new recipes, so last night I made empanadas. You may have had these at your favorite Mexican restaurant. I had never tried them at home. I made two different fillings - chicken and shrimp, served with salsa, queso and chips.


Yesterday afternoon, I made D's birthday cake. This is his favorite - German Chocolate. Not the prettiest cake I've ever made but hopefully, it will taste good.


Earlier in the week, I had made this. and wow it was a hit . . . and a big one! In fact D's exact words were, "this may be the best pound cake I have ever put in my mouth." And he's had his share of pound cakes over the years. This is the 5-flavor Pound Cake and really was delicious! As you can see, I couldn't even get a picture taken before somebody got them a slice, or two.

I'm headed back in the kitchen now to prepare D's birthday dinner. The family is coming over tonight to celebrate and we'll be coming back in from our "D's Birthday Adventure" right before dinner time so I've got to prepare ahead. I can hardly wait to share about our big adventure. I'm a little more than nervous but I'm trying not to think about it. But I can't think about anything else . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment