Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Food Wednesday

Well, I'm feeling a little Food Friday guilt right now. Like I made a commitment and then didn't stay with it. I feel so bad . . . like I've let you down. But I can't live with regrets about yesterday. Am I over-dramatizing this? I tend to be just a little over-dramatic sometimes. However, the fact remains that there are food and recipes to be discussed. So, let's talk. Okay, I guess I'll do the talking.

First, let me just tell you about something I had last Friday that was the best thing I've put in my mouth in I really don't know when. I went to Mule Camp Market on the square and could not get to the food section fast enough. You know why? Funnel Cakes. Aww, yes. When was the last time you had a funnel cake? Oh, by the way, I asked that same question to my husband when I got home and you know what he said, "I don't remember ever having a funnel cake." WHAT? Excuse me? Never, ever had a funnel cake? Oh, the injustice of it all. Anyway, it was batter cooked in hot grease covered with powdered sugar. And it could not have been better if Martha Stewart herself had cooked it. I could have licked the paper plate it was served on.

Okay, I gave you the menu for G's birthday and all the fabulous dishes that came out of my kitchen over the weekend. I was in a groove I tell you . . . a groove. I think it's the change in seasons. It makes me want to nest. Do you know what I mean by that? I want to cook, sit by the fireplace (even though it's still too warm for a fire, I just sit by the fireplace and think about having a fire) with a beverage, surrounded by my loved ones, watch movies and football, and read. Oh the joy.

So, just in case you're feeling a little of the same, let me share a few recipes. This first one is Roasted Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder and it makes you just want to kiss your momma I promise. I honestly could hardly stop eating the roasted sweet potatoes before putting them in the soup. They alone were amazing - just sweet potatoes, drizzled in olive oil, sprinkled with salt and roasted in the oven. I plan on making them again just as a side dish for supper.

The second recipe is for Harvest Salad with Red Raspberry Dressing. This dressing is easy to make and has an excellent flavor. I usually don't make salad dressings but I think I'm going to start. It was so fresh and so much better than those out of the bottle.

So gather your family around the table tonight and bless them with some good food. I think you'll be glad you did.

Roasted Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder
Ingredients:
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups finely diced celery
1 cup diced red onion
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups half and half
2 cans whole kernel corn
1 can creamed-style corn
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1 white potato, peeled and cubed
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped

Directions:
1. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees. Place the sweet potatoes into a 9x13 inch baking dish, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Stir to coat the sweet potatoes in oil.
2. Roast until the sweet potatoes are golden and tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir occasionally as they cook so the sweet potatoes cook evenly.
3. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the celery and onion. Cook and stir until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and dried thyme leaves; cook 1 minute more. Pour in the broth, half and half, corn, bay leaf, salt, and cubed white potato.
4. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potato is tender, 25 to 35 minutes.
5. Once the potato is tender, remove and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the roasted sweet potatoes and chopped parsley. Return to a simmer and season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.


Harvest Salad with Red Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing

Ingredients for Salad:
1 bag fresh spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
2 large stalks of romaine lettuce, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
2 Bartlett pears, peeled and sliced
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chopped walnuts, roasted
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 cup bacon bits
2 tomatoes, diced
½ red onion, thinly sliced
Ingredients for Dressing:
4 Tbsp. red raspberry jam
3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2/3 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in oven 5-7 minutes, just until nuts begin to brown.
2. In a large bowl, toss together spinach, romaine, pears, cranberries, walnuts, feta cheese, bacon bits, tomatoes and onion.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together jam, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper.
4. Pour dressing over the salad just before serving and toss to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment