Sunday, October 31, 2010

I think I'm the Talkative Sort

I have approximately five minutes to tell you everything that we've done in the last three days. D and I have been gone since Thursday afternoon and we have covered some territory in a short amount of time I'm telling you.
Late Thursday afternoon we caught a flight out to Orlando. But not before I got detained in Security for the possession of an unidentified liquid. Unidentified? Excuse me? Anybody knows that would be my 3 Minute Miracle. And I really didn't want any ole grumpy Atlanta security personnel to have my Miracle. But apparently, these airport security folks have something to do with Homeland Security which I do know is part of our federal government which I do know can throw you in the slammer for disagreeing with their rules. So I decided not to argue the point that The Miracle is not technically a liquid . . . but a thick gel (not a liquid I repeat). Bottom line, I had to give them my Miracle. But come to think of it, maybe I was the grumpy one. My dear sweet husband had neglected to tell me that because of the brevity of our trip, we would not be checking our bags. We would be carrying everything on. Well, if I had known that I would have brought something smaller than my mega-super size hairspray and mousse. Because I only buy those in the huge cans because if I didn't I would be going every other day to replenish my supply. I can go through some hair products I tell you. So . . . I had already agreed to leave the above-mentioned items in the truck. So, if you are following me here, you realize this means that I am going to Florida (otherwise known as the "The Official State of Heat and Humidity") without my mousse, Miracle or my hair spray. Well, I might as well just wear a bag over my head. D, realizing the severity of this situation, bless his heart, kept saying, "honey, as soon as we get on the ground in Orlando I will find a way to get you some hair products." I had to grin. He knew his chances of a good mini-vacation were vanishing right before his very eyes. Because if there is something that will put a girl in a bad mood in a hurry, it is the fact that she is experiencing less than ideal hair conditions.
Well, once we were on our way, things happened beyond our control - like being 45 minutes late leaving Atlanta, waiting 30 minutes at the airport for our shuttle and then taking a one-hour long tour through the Disney World hotel system before arriving at our hotel, which by the way, was not part of the Disney hotel system and therefore, warranted the very last stop. So, by the time we got to our room, we were tired and hungry. We ordered room service and went to sleep.
But I woke up Friday morning to the fresh realization that I still had no hair products. The way I saw it, I had two options: I could go purchase some ridiculously priced products at the resort's spa (and would still have to leave them because I couldn't get back on the plane with them) or I would have to suck it up and go as is to the food show with D. Realizing you just have to let these kinds of things go sometimes, I did the best I could with the nothing I had, I held my head and hair high and accompanied my husband to the show. By mid-afternoon, he had to go to meetings so we parted ways and I just decided to throw caution to the wind (literally) and sit outside and enjoy the heat and humidity that makes Florida what it is. I made it a priority to forget about my over-egotistical hair problems and enjoy the loveliness of my location. Which, in fact, I most certainly did. I will say, however, no photographs were taken to document this day. So much for my self-sacrifice of ego. :)

That may have been the most ridiculous thing I have ever written. I am ever so sorry.

I've got to tell you something that was so funny to me. We are standing in the Atlanta airport at the gate waiting for our flight to board. The pilot was standing there as well and we just struck up a conversation with him. Sidenote: Pilots are like doctors to me. I swear, some of them don't look like they are even old enough to drive much less hold the monumental jobs of flying commercial airplanes or doing surgery. I must be getting old, that sounds just like something my mother would say. Anyway, we discover even though he's from Orlando, he does bike rides through the north Georgia mountains. D asks him if he's been to Dahlonega; he says he has several times; D says we have a grocery store there; he asks D about the grocery business; D gives him his little assessment of the grocery store business climate; and then he says . . . "I'm thinking about changing jobs and thought I might enjoy working in a grocery store. Do you have a business card?" Is it just me or does that strike you as funny? Here he is a pilot for a major airline but he's thinking he might enjoy the grocery store business (which he admitted, he knows nothing about). Well, go figure. Anyway, we say our goodbyes to him and we are walking down the hallway to the airplane and D turns to me, not a smile on his face and says, "well, he was a talkative sort, wasn't he?" After that entire conversation and all the things he could have said, "a talkative sort?" I just cracked up. This whole scenario just struck me as hilarious. Yes, dear, yes, he was . . . a talkative sort.

That may have been the second most riduculous thing I've ever written.

Okay.

The original plan was for us to fly back home on Saturday morning. Oh, but we had the most wonderful of unexpected surprises! Thanks to the kindness and generosity of some very special people, we were able to rent a car, drive to Jacksonville, get some tickets and catch a late flight out of Jacksonville on Saturday night. WooHoo - because you know what happened in Jacksonville yesterday. Oh.Yes.We.Did. We went to the Georgia/Florida game!! Yes, the overtime ending was awful - that goes without saying. BUT . . . the time with my husband, the time with our friends and that ballgame atmosphere on 3rd row seats was awesome! Oh my gosh, we had a good time. The new UGA, Bruce was even right in front of us the whole time. I'll share photos later.
And because I'm sure you are dying to know, as soon as we got that rental car we made a bee-line to the nearest Target, which did in fact have those 3 oz. sizes of mousse and hairspray. And all was well with my soul.

But for right now, I gotta go. Since I've been gone, I'm behind on most everything including some work-related projects, housework and laundry. Oh, and tomorrow night is our 2nd Annual Soup Swap Extravaganza for my Monday night Bible study girls here at the house. Yay! We are finishing up the Bible study, "Anointed, Redeemed and Transformed." And can I just say, WOW. What an amazing study. It is just a six week study and boy oh boy, it's a good one.

Happy Halloween!!

No comments:

Post a Comment