Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Is it really Thursday morning already? I realized late yesterday that I hardly gave a mention to Valentines Day! Hope your Valentine treated you well. I know mine did. In fact, we are continuing our celebration Sunday night with a little "surprise." I love surprises (good ones) and I can hardly wait. We began our Valentine's Day celebration on Sunday evening with a table for two at a local restaurant which recently opened in town. What we didn't realize about this little "romantic" spot was that they bring in poker tables on Sunday nights for a little game of Texas Hold 'em. Just what you want to hear when you're gazing into each other's eyes, "I'm a-gonna havta fold em there, buddy. That was the lousiest hand I ever had." Although, it did bring back memories of a certain silver fox from my younger days who could sure croon a tune about holdin 'em and foldin em, knowin when to walk away and knowin when to run. (Did I really just use the word "croon" in a sentence? I'm not sure which is worse: knowing and using the word croon, quoting old Kenny Rogers lyrics, or calling him a silver fox. All of those statements are so wrong on about ten different levels.)

So. Okay.

Maybe I should catch you up on what's been going on around here. Let's see. The weekend was actually pretty quiet. The weather was in one word - lovely. It made you just want to stare at the blue in the sky and sit in the sun. And I did just that.

E and I had meetings with brides on Friday and Sunday. Friday's bride is getting married at Montaluce Winery in May. Outside next to the lake. Reception inside the winery. Purples and greens for colors; birds and birdcages for decor. Oh so pretty. Actually Montaluce needs very little in terms of decor. It is stand alone gorgeous.

Our Sunday bride is getting married outside as well in October. This bride has actually asked to use our family farm for the venue and we could not be more pleased. We can totally rock the farm. It was made for large events such as weddings. She wants to get married down by the pond and have the reception up on the deck. But I will admit though outdoor weddings make me oh-so nervous. They require Rain Plan 101 detailed to the nth degree. You have to have a tent on standby and then you have to make the call if you'll need it or not a couple of days before and oh my word at the uncertainty of it all. But if all things go as planned, outdoor weddings really are some of the prettiest. So we are super excited about planning this wedding and working with this precious bride and her family.

Then last night we met with a bride getting married in August. You know the thing about our business, we never do the same thing twice. Ever. No two weddings are even remotely similar. I really think that is why I enjoy it so much. It keeps life interesting. This bride is going totally glam. Black and white bridesmaids dresses; touches of pink; rhinestones; pearls and lace. Everything classic, traditional and streamlined. I love this look.

Tuesday morning I was in Alpharetta at the coolest place ever - a linen rental company. Doesn't sound exciting? Oh, you just don't know. I walk into their showroom and it is just packed full of beautiful fabrics, colors and tablescapes. I went down there to get linens for a project I'm doing this evening. I am creating a mock-up of a reception table for a potential client. I met her at the Bridal Show and she loved one of the tables we did for the "Be Inspired" Room. I am re-creating that table but tweaking it a little for her specific needs so we'll see what she thinks about it tonight.

I just have to mention that Bible study was amazing Tuesday night. This "One in a Million" study has already changed me. But I have to admit, this study has raised some difficult questions for me. But the beauty of Bible study with this group is that we can speak openly about our questions and concerns with no fear of condemnation or ridicule. We share hearts for God and each other. What a blessing.

I better run. I've got a working lunch meeting in Buford with some folks I am very excited to meet. They own a super cool company down that way and I can't wait to hear more about it. So I'm off.

But I've just got to leave you with this. While I was running around already this morning trying to get stuff done and blabbering insistently to my husband about what I have to do today, tomorrow and into infinite, he grabbed my face with both hands and said this:
"Stop. Slow down. You are going to miss the beauty of this day. Don't get so busy that you don't see all of good stuff that God is doing all around you. So, shut up and kiss me."

Just gotta love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment