Friday, February 18, 2011

Food Friday

Does anyone have Spring Fever besides me? And you know, just about the time our daffodils and jonquils get to blooming, there will come a cold spell or snow (gasp) and dash our hopes for an early spring. I just hate when that happens.

So what's on your plate for this bee-u-ti-ful weekend we have ahead of us? I'm leaving this afternoon for a little girl time at the Beloved Retreat and oh my word, I can hardly contain my excitement. Except that I'll have to admit I'm a little stressed. Tomorrow night at the retreat is the Luau Event. Well, I don't know about you but I really don't have much in the tropical, luau-looking fashion department. Maybe I'll just throw on a lei and call it a day. But that's not gonna stand in my way of having a good time. Yay - for God and girl time!

I'll be back in time for church on Sunday; Employee Appreciation Lunch for the store after that; meeting with a bride at 3:00 and then off to Atlanta with my hubby, son and son's significant other for a continued Valentine's surprise! So, I probably won't talk to ya again till Monday. So in that case, I hope your weekend is restful and fun!

So, Food Friday. I'll have to admit. Those of you that know me well, know that I usually spend a good bit of time in the kitchen. Well, not this week. I have had something every night this week, with the exception of Monday when I cooked our Valentine's Day meal. So, while I have done alot of things this week, I haven't really cooked much. I made this recipe last weekend and we have eaten on it all week. We've eaten cold, right out of the refrigerator. We've eaten it warm. And we've eaten it with warm . . . with ice cream. Oooo . . . have you had Breyer's Carb Smart Ice Cream? It's great. Well, that's what I've heard. :)

So, today's recipe is Raspberry Buckle. I've heard this for years and wondered why it's called a buckle when honestly I think you could have just called it a cobbler. So I tried to find the reason for that and best I can tell, years ago they called what we call now a cobbler, a buckle because when cooked it looked like a sidewalk that had buckled. Interesting, huh? This recipe calls for raspberries but I used the frozen berry mix and it was delish. The mix has raspberries, blackberries and strawberries in it. So good.

Raspberry Buckle
Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup low fat, soy or almond milk
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 10 oz. bags of frozen raspberries
2 teaspoons grated orange peel

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the milk and butter and stir until well blended. Scrape into the prepared dish.
3. Sprinkle with raspberries and orange peel over the batter. Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment