Friday, February 11, 2011

Food Friday - Valentine's Day Edition

I know some of you follow me on the What's for Supper segment and some of you don't. Don't worry - no condemnation here. But if you do, you've already heard this. I've been "building" our special Valentine's Day meal for our sweeties this week. My sweeties have already had this Valentine's Day meal as I test and tweak all recipes to our liking a week or so before they make their debut on the segment. So, I must tell you, I thought my boys would eat themselves silly when I put this meal in front of them. They loved it. And that just made me so happy because I love them so much. I happen to think that cooking a meal for your family is a good way of showing them how much you care about and love them. And when a certain someone says, "mom, I swear, this is the best thing you've ever cooked" every time he sits down to eat, I gotta admit, that just makes my heart sing. Oh yes it does. Or when my sweet husband says, "Thank you so much. I'm so glad I married you." (it must be true what they say about the way to a man's heart).

So, here is my Valentine's Day Menu!

Blue Cheese Crusted Filet Mignon with Mushroom Wine Sauce: When I made this recipe for my family, I used feta cheese because we aren't big blue cheese fans. So you can definitely make it your own for your family. And let me just tell you that this Mushroom Wine Sauce was incredible. You could use "real" wine if you have it. I had a bottle of cooking wine that I had gotten at the store and it worked just fine. I'm sure fine wine connoisseurs would be appalled with that last statement. So if you are one, please no letters.

For our meal, we added steamed crab legs to the mix. The boys are huge fans so they grabbed themselves some at the store and had our seafood guys steam them. (If you're interested, this is a complementary service when you purchase the crab legs).

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes: D said you could have put this filling in a pie. Which is huge for him because if there is one thing that he knows something about, it is sweet potato pie. Trust me, these were good. Similar to regular twice baked potatoes, you bake them, then scoop out the insides, mix with some really good stuff, put back in the shells and bake again. Yum.

Green Bean Bundles: Fresh green beans, blanched; gathered in bundles of 7 or 8; wrapped in bacon then baked.

Strawberry Salad: This is a congealed salad using strawberries, bananas, pineapple, and pecans. It's red which makes it a good choice for a Valentine's Day meal. This is D's mom's recipe so it goes without saying that it's a good one.

And finally . . . for dessert . . . Warm Chocolate Truffle Cakes. These are individual cakes baked in ramekins. Full of chocolate goodness. Sprinkled with confectioner's sugar. They really will make you want to give somebody some sugar. I'm just sayin.

So! There you have it! If you are interested, all of these recipes are on the store website, http://www.jandjfoods.com/. Click on the What's for Supper square in the lower right hand corner. The Chocolate Truffle Cake recipe is today's recipe so it will come up when you click the tab. The others are in the archives. But I'll share one here. It's a hard decision but I think this one is the winner.

Blue Cheese Crusted Filet Mignons with Mushroom Sauce

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium white onion, minced
6-8 whole mushrooms, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
3/4 cup low-sodium beef broth
1/2 cup cooking wine (or a white wine)
4 filet mignon steaks (1 1/2 inch thick)
3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
Directions:
1. Put olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring constantly, until onions and mushrooms are tender. Stir in the beef broth, mix well; then stir in the cooking wine. Bring to a slow boil, and simmer until the liquid has mostly reduced. Set aside. This may also be made ahead of time, and reheated.
2. Cook steaks on the grill or grill pan to desired doneness.
3. Place steaks on a baking sheet. Stir together panko crumbs and blue cheese. Top each steak with a layer of this mixture.
4. Preheat the oven’s broiler. Place steaks under the preheated broiler until the cheese topping is browned and bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and let stand for at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve with warm mushroom sauce.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment