Friday, August 13, 2010

Food Friday Returns!

Good morning friends! I've already been to have my hair cut and now I'm waiting patiently on a house appraiser to get here. D has been doing a vast amount of research on home interest rates over the past few months. Never one to throw money out the window (or give it away frivolously to a mortgage company), my husband decided that refinancing our home was a wise decision. I agreed. Thus the house appraiser this morning.

Okay, Food Friday has returned!! Yea and woo hoo! You know, I'm so blessed to be able to do the "What's for Supper?" segment every day on the radio. I know you won't believe this but just for me to get to talk first of all is so much fun because I do, after all love to talk. Then to get to talk about food - well, that's just a match made in heaven. This recipe however hasn't made it to the radio line-up yet but believe me, it will very soon. This is the recipe I made for Mother's birthday (picture on her birthday post) - Fresh Peach Pie. Now, as you know, I've been watching every bite that goes in my mouth for the past couple of months which means I have had very little (and I mean very little) sweet things cross my lips. But I just could not resist this dessert. On my Favorite Desserts List Ever - this makes the top five. I honestly could have eaten the whole pie but instead I had a obnoxiously small piece but you know, it was enough. Believe me, I savored the moment.
I can honestly say that this is the best thing I've put in my mouth in the past four months. Okay, enough about me, here's the recipe:

Fresh Peach Pie

1 package of pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1 egg, beaten
5 cups fresh peaches - peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Line the bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate with one of the pie crusts. Brush with some of the beaten egg to keep the dough from becoming soggy later.
3. Place the sliced peaches in a large bowl, and sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix gently. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and salt. Pour over the peaches and mix gently. Pour into the pie crust and dot with butter. Cover with the other pie crust and fold edges under.
Flute the edges to seal or press the edges with the tines of a fork dipped in egg. Brush the remaining egg over the top crust. Cut several slits in the top crust to vent steam.
***I cut the top crust into strips and arranged in a lattice design on the top.
4. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes, until the crust is brown and the juices begin to bubble.
If the edges brown to fast, cover them with strips of aluminum foil about halfway through baking.
Cool before serving.
Tastes better warm than hot.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment