Saturday, August 14, 2010

Road Trip - The Girls!

Several months ago I told you about my venture into the world of Facebook. Not really knowing what I was getting into, I (I mean, E) signed up and I became fast "friends" with over 100 people. Well, being the sanguine that I am, I was all about that in a New York minute. Over the past few months, since reconnecting with grade school and high school friends, I've seen photos of myself from kindergarten, first grade, piano recitals and sitting on the hood of a car in the high school parking lot. I've "talked" with friends I thought I'd never have communication with again - living all over the states of Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Florida and a couple I found right here in Atlanta. Too say the least - it has been FUN. And I would right now like to publicly thank Facebook and the Internet for all you've given me. It is much appreciated.

So, during this whole reconnecting process, I began communicating with my friend, C who now lives in Orlando. She casually mentioned one day that she was traveling to Illinois to see her family during the month of August and "hey, why don't you come up and we'll have a little girls reunion?" I'd love to - let me see if I can work it out! Thus the Road Trip 2010 wheels started turning. When I realized that it would coincide with Mother's Birthday, I knew what we would do. Mother and I would go on this whirwind trip together. Driving up on Monday and driving back on Wednesday. Call me crazy.

A little background info here. In high school there were three of us who were inseparable. C, T and me. We went everywhere together. We did everything together. We all three sat in the front seat of a bucket seat car (yes, that meant two of us shared one seatbelt in that one front seat. Oddly enough, we never got a ticket for that. Although we did get stopped by the police one night for being "suspicious" after we drove around a local establishment for the 50th time trying to catch sight of one our lastest loves.) We slept in the same bed. We all three got ready together in one bathroom. We shared laughs, tears and alot of Pizza Hut pizza - those were the days.

So . . C made all of the arrangements with T and I asked C if she would keep it a secret that I would be making an appearance at this little girls get togehter. And she did. When I rounded the corner in that restaurant, I honestly wish I could tell you the look on T's face. It was priceless! It was totally worth the 20 hours of driving that I endured. It had been at least 15 years, probably more since I had laid eyes on these two precious women and all of sudden, the laughter and friendship that we had once had, returned. We talked and laughed until our sides hurt. We caught up on work, friends, children, parents and lots, lots more. I wouldn't take a million and one dollars for the four hours I sat there with them. It was like a treasure worth more than gold. A gift truly that God gave me tied up with a big bow.

Another gift I recieved on this trip was surprising another one of the precious women from my past by showing up at her workplace on Tuesday afternoon. I just love surprising people! We had a great, but short, time of catching up. She is one of the most beautiful women I know - on the inside and out. She's strong and tender all at the same time. I left there wishing I could have had more time . . .

I've said this before and I'll say this again. While my girlfriends can never replace my husband, children and family - my girlfriends are a lifeline to me. The women that God has chosen to be my sisters are beyond my wildest dreams. I wasn't blessed with any blood sisters but I tell you what, I think the ones He gave me for friends were just as handpicked for me. All my life, God has surrounded me with the absolutely coolest and most fabulous of women. You make me want to be a better woman, wife, mother and friend. Some I see all the time and some only every 15 years. Either way, you are a pleasure and a treasure to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment