Sunday, August 1, 2010

What I love about August 2010!

August 1st! Really? We have now successfully completed seven whole months of 2010. Unbelievable. We'll be talking Christmas around here before you know it. Let's see I haven't blogged since Tuesday and oh the fun I've had since then. Wednesday I went to the Mart and yes, that was all I did that day. I was t-i-r-e-d at the end of that. Beautiful things were purchased for the Windowshop and although time was short, I, of course, managed to squeak in a couple of personal purchases.
On Thursday, E and I had a consultation with a precious bride and her fiance. They have visions of a Spring 2011 outdoor wedding dancing in their heads (sorry, just the word "Christmas" got my mind humming of such) and we hope to make those visions a reality. After the radio show that day, I headed back to the downtown square for a reception held at a local art gallery, Gallerie 110, which features artists in our area. I have a friend who participated in the showing and she is among many talented artists who have come together to showcase their talents at this gallery. It is a great addition to our downtown and the art is amazing.

After that, I headed out to a friend's house for get this . . . a Chocolate and Wine Party. Oh yes I did. Now, there is nothing a bunch of girls like better than this combination and oh, did we enjoy every single minute of it. I left overdosed on chocolate (and underdosed on wine) and to quote that famous song from Flashdance, "What a feeling." Can't you just see that video - leg warmers, and water - "I can have it all, now I'm dancing for my life. I have music now! I have rhythm now! What a feeling!" That was my absolute favorite movie in 1983. Don't judge me please. Where was I?

I hit a highlight on Friday morning when I was able to sit down with a very dear friend to listen to her share her heart about her year-long mission trip to 12 countries. The trip is called the World Race but I keep calling it the Amazing Race because of her stories of God's amazing work throughout her trip. (I fully realize that Amazing Race is a tv show but I think it pales in comparison to the journey God took my buddy on). God is leading her back to one of the countries she visited to begin a ministry there. His provision already is evidence of what He has called her to. My heart is full for her and what God has in store. On Saturday night a group of us welcomed her back with a little fellowship and she shared more of her stories as well as some video and awesome photography. Such a blessing to lay eyes on this fabulous young woman again after a whole year.

Friday afternoon I headed with my hubby to the farm for some rest and relaxation. We cooked out that night and played Spades and Rook into the wee hours of the morning with E and N. Saturday was full of quiet time for me and manual labor for D - therapeutic for both of us. The beauty and quietness of the farm just kinda allows us to bring balance to our hectic lives. Much needed and much enjoyed.

So what does August 2010 have in store for us?
1. Tuesday will find us at the farm again for an all-day business planning meeting for the grocery store. All of us will go up either to participate, set up, cook, host or do whatever needs to be done. D holds these get-away planning meetings from time to time and I think it is very beneficial to his staff. After a day of hard work, we will all load up on the four-wheelers to just enjoy nature and clear our heads. A very good thing.
2. Oh, I can hardly wait til Thursday when I will attend, for the very first time, the World's Longest Yard Sale. It runs 675 miles from Gadsden, Alabama to Hudson, Michigan. We are catching it as it cuts across the very northwest tip of Georgia - connecting Alabama to Tennessee. This should be tons of fun! I'll let you know what we saw and what treasures we couldn't leave there.
3. Next weekend, D's sister and family will be here for the weekend. This will involve food, fun and boat time. So excited to spend some time with them.
4. Sunday night we'll be celebrating my momma's 80-something birthday. I really cannot tell you . . . I would have to kill you (per momma :) )
5. We are celebrating Mimi's birthday Sunday because she will be gone on her actual birthday (Tuesday). She and I are headed to Illinois for a few days beginning Monday the 9th. As most everything in my life, this trip has a really long story behind it so I'll save it for another day that will hopefully include photos!
6. The following week I'll get to go to Nashville with hubby for a short trip. Business for him; fun for me. I still haven't been to the Country Music Hall of Fame. You'll remember my trip to Nashville got cancelled the last time because of D's appearance before the Georgia Senate. I sure hope they appreciated my sacrifice.
7. On Sunday, August 22nd, Wonderful Events will be co-sponsoring a fabulous event for an incredible charity, Brides Against Breast Cancer at the Chattahoochee Country Club. Mark your calendars now - you don't have to be a bride to attend. I'll pass along more details later.
8. August not only marks the beginning of the school year but our Bible study year as well. I'm so excited to get back in the Word with my buddies I can hardly stand it! Looks like we'll be studying two Old Testament pillars of the faith - Esther and David. Yea!
9. Oh and of course, the big event for the month - E's best friend's wedding! It will consume us for a few days and we couldn't be happier about that! She is a fabulous young woman and I can hardly wait to be a part of her wedding weekend!
10. Since we'll be in Atlanta for the wedding, I just thought I would just make a weekend of it and go to the Fox Theater on Sunday afternoon to see my second favorite musical, "The Sound of Music." (Mary Poppins is, of course, my favorite). Because, after all, these are a few of my favorite things . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment