Thursday, June 30, 2011

Breakfast, Lunch and Bar Stools

Edited to add: I wrote this last night and fell asleep before I hit the publish button. ha! So this is old news, as in yesterday's.

I like to have never dragged myself out of bed this morning. I think when you spend three or four days at the beach where you don't have a worry in the world, it ruins you for about a week when it comes to getting back in the swing of normal life. Oh at the woe.

My day started with breakfast bright and early at Panera with one of my favorite people. I serve on the Board of Directors of a great local non-profit, the Gainesville Care Center and was privileged to enjoy the company of their Executive Director this morning. What a great way to start the day. We chatted about several topics concerning the Care Center but the highlight was sharing several matters on our hearts. She is a great encourager and somehow I just needed that this morning. Thank you, Lord for such a special blessing.

When I left there I met our sweet intern, Allie for a couple of meetings. Some very busy but truly gracious ladies were kind enough to give Allie a few minutes of their time to help her with some information she is gathering for her school project. It has truly been a joy to have Allie helping us the past couple of weeks and she will be greatly missed when she's gone. I tell her all the time that I wish she could stay but I know that her parents would like for her to have a "real" paying job one of these days. I just hate that (but understand it, believe me).

After that, we met with E for a marathon meeting about an event coming up in October. Well, that may seem like a long way off but we have several weddings and other events going on during the next few months so things have to get moving on this. We accomplished much in a short (well, not so short) period of time. I do so much enjoy planning special events for people. It brings great joy to my life. The fun thing about this was that in the middle of the meeting, we decided to go to lunch. I had planned to meet G for lunch so an impromptu gathering of both of my children along with Allie was beyond enjoyable. I felt truly blessed to have that time as part of my day.

After that, I ran to the radio station to do the show and then stopped at a friend's house to pick up my bar stools. There is quite the saga to go along with these bar stools. I'll give you the short version. I got them at our yard sale a couple of weeks ago. If you remember correctly, this is the yard sale where we all just pretty much just traded stuff. Now, I did get rid of a bunch of things but that's not to say I didn't bring a few treasurers in the house. One of my treasures were my friend's barstools. The ones I had were super heavy and really no one used them because of that. My new ones are smaller and lighter and just better for the space. But you know me, I can't leave well enough alone and asked my very creative friend to work some of her magic on these stools. They were great before but they are even better now. I'm not exactly sure what she did to them - glazed/distressed/painted/whatever, I just know I like them. And I had cute little pads made for them. in a great plaid fabric. with little box pleats. So my yard sale treasures are now quite lovely.

Whew. Okay so then after all of that, I changed clothes super fast, grabbed my husband and jumped in the car to attend a little soiree on a big ole houseboat out on beautiful Lake Lanier. Well, this was just a delight. Great food and great friends. Great end to a great day.

So, how was your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment