Monday, June 27, 2011

It was a Trip!

Well, I was just typing away a minute ago answering emails and my husband looked right over at me and said "are you blogging?" Which got me to thinking, doggone, I might should do that. How in the world are y'all?

D and I just got back about an hour ago from the land of the Atlantic Ocean. Now, neither one of us is a beach snob so we don't care which way we go, Atlantic or Gulf, or Pacific for that matter, as long as it has sand and sun (and a pool for me).

This was our long weekend away for our anniversary. This trip kinda evolved but long story short, we ended up going to Myrtle Beach. We stayed at a great resort and basically had a delightful time. We think we hadn't been to MB in maybe 20 years and yes, it had changed just a little. I'm not sure I have to go back anytime soon but all in all, we had a great time. So what did we do?

1. We sat in beach chairs, under umbrellas and read. Now, I think that maybe what we get to do in heaven during the summer months. Our view of the ocean was unobstructed and I pretty much could have sat there for days. It was hot but the breeze was steady and it felt fab.u.lous. I could just feel the worries of the world melting away. I got to finish Dorothea Benton Frank's new novel, "Folly Beach." It took me awhile to get into it and understand the formatting but once I got that, I loved it. I also read several publications about canning . . . because I'm canning things this year. Oh yes I am. We have an abundance of produce especially from my father-in-law's garden and I'm just going to teach myself to can. So there. I'll let you know how that goes.

2. We went shopping which was really kinda an accident. We were looking for something else and the GPS took us to a great shopping area. Well, score for the GPS! I got some new make-up and could not be more pleased. I've heard from every friend, neighbor and internet blogger how wonderful Bare Minerals make-up is. Well, I've been a little on the hesitant side because I've always used liquid foundation. Bare Minerals is powder and honestly, I just wasn't so sure. But since I was on vacation and my husband was in Dick's Sporting Goods, I decided to sit down and let the expert experiment on me at the make-up counter. I could not believe my eyes when I looked at my face in the mirror. I have a little (a lot actually) problem with redness and rosacea so I've always wanted a product that covers that up. The ones I've used would cover it up when you first put it on but after you've worn it for awhile, the coverage was long gone. Not this. It's great.

3. We went to the movies and saw "Cars." Yea, I know what you're thinking. Kids movie. I've never laughed so hard and so many times as I did in this movie. Honestly, I don't think kids would get half of the jokes. But you do have to have some appreciation for Tow-Mater, aka Larry the Cable Guy and his brand of humor. I thought it was cute as could be.

4. We decided that we wouldn't eat at any chain or mass-market restaurants. We aren't fans of those and if we go to a new place we like to eat at the hole-in-the-wall restaurants that don't have long lines of tourists waiting at the door. We found two of these and come to think of it, I might go back to MB just for these two restaurants. The first was Sun City Grill. Shrimp tacos and salsa to die for. The menu was very limited but the food was just great. The second was River City Grill.,very similar in name to the first but not menu. River City Grill was all about burgers in every shape, form and fashion. And the onion rings were the size of your fist. Honestly, where do you get onions that big? This food was amazing.

5. We visited grocery stores. I guess that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who knows us because that's what our family does on vacation. We have to walk through as many stores as possible and analyze everything about them. We've gotten pretty good at it. I just usually stand in the produce section and drool because honestly, is there anything any prettier that a bunch of fresh produce. Just think about it. Fruits and vegetables are every color of the rainbow and come in every size and shape. It's just amazing to me.

6. We went to Hubbard Georgia on the way back. Why Hubbard? Well, I asked the husband the same question. He said there was something in Hubbard he wanted and I should say there was. Little known fact I'm sure, but Hubbard is the home of Bubba Grills. Apparently, these grills are famous in some circles. I guess I don't happen to run in those circles. But my husband is a Bubba Grill groupie wanna-be. You see, he has caught the smokin/grillin bug. Mr. Bubba said that might happen. You see we met the Mr. Bubba of Bubba Grill fame and he was a delight to be sure. I just might be wrong but if it weren't for Mr. Bubba I don't think anyone would ever hear about Hubbard. It has one flashing light and is home to about 700 people plus Bubba and his family. They live just north of town on Hwy. 129 (yes the same Hwy. 129 that runs right through Gainesville) and once we finally turned off the main highway and onto their dirt road, we found the Bubba Grill factory (looked like a barn to me), pretty as you please, right behind Mr. Bubba's house. He sure was glad we came and he said that he sure would be happy to build us a smoker/griller. He told us when we were leaving that we could just circle that there Pee-Can tree in his back yard and head on home from there. I just loved him plus he had a bull dog puppy that was just precious. Of course he did.

Well, that's all I know for today. It's 11:15 and this girl is tired from all the vacationing and riding in the car I've been doing. But I do know that my precious eldest child will be knocking on my door at 6:30 in the morning so I've got to get some rest.

Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment