Tuesday, July 8, 2014

4th of July Weekend Recap

How was your 4th weekend?  I hope you waved flags, watched fireworks and ate some good food.  Ours didn't go as planned.  The plan was to stay in Atlanta Thursday night and E, N and D would run the Peachtree on Friday.  I'm happy to report that part went as clockwork.  All 3 of them smoked that 'ole road race with great race times.  Go Team Wiley/Williams!  My plan was to stay in the comforts of my hotel room until they got back and D's mom would do the same.   Then, once D was showered and ready, we would head to Tennessee to see his sister and family.  This is where we ran into a snag.  I big one.  While D, N, and E were all at the race, I got a call from D's mom that she had fallen getting in the shower and thought she had broken her ankle.  Which come to find out, she did.  So we spent the weekend of the 4th in the Atlanta Medical Center.  As you can imagine, it's not your first choice for a holiday weekend excursion. 

But you know you have to look on the bright side... her injuries weren't life-threatening.  (Sidenote:  we were staying at Hotel Indigo right across from the Fox Theatre on Peachtree.  It is a fabulous hotel but the bathrooms are tiny and I mean t.i.n.y.  It's an older building and they have done the best they could with renovations but you just can't change some things.  All of that to say, it's a  miracle she didn't hit her head on some hard surface on the way down. So, for that we are thankful.  It could have been worse).

Second, you know one of my July goals was to eat at a great restaurant with D that we had never been to before.  Well, guess what?  that was accomplished.  We were at the hospital ALL day on Friday and ALL day on Saturday so by Saturday night, we were exhausted and tired of eating hospital food.  So after we left the hospital, we decided to venture out for a late supper.  And we are so glad we did.  We ended up at Six Feet Under on 11th Street.  It was awesome!  I had crab cakes and a spinach salad and D had a combo basket which included shrimp, catfish, cod and the best homemade potato chips I have ever put in my mouth.  This trip turned out to be the high point of the whole weekend.  It's not really how I planned to accomplish this July goal but hey, I'll take it. 

D's mom finally made it home last night.  She was supposed to travel with us tomorrow to Amelia but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.  I so hate that because she was really looking forward to it. 

I wish I had some great photos to show of us in our red, white and blue waving flags and eating hot dogs but I don't.  It's okay.  That's the way life goes sometimes.   But I do have this great picture of our racers taken in the hotel lobby at 6:15 a.m. Friday morning as they were heading out to run!  They were lookin' good! 





No comments:

Post a Comment