Monday, July 14, 2014

Amelia Island GFIA Trip Recap

Well, I know that I said I would update from Amelia but there was the eating, and the laying by the pool and then of course the reading.  So basically, I didn't have a single minute to do anything.  I really did do more than that I promise. 

When we got to The Plantation on Thursday, I quickly realized that I wouldn't want to leave this place anytime soon.  This is the view from our room:


Not only was the view amazing, the room itself was gorgeous.  I could not keep my eyes off of this group of photos that was placed over the desk area.


And this chair and ottoman.  The ottoman has a leather tufted top.  Get out.  The large pillow was off of the bed.  This room was exquisite. 


Then of course, there was more fabulousness and things of beauty when we went to supper Thursday night in downtown Fernandina at Brett's Waterway Café.  This was the BBQ shrimp over a bed of grits and turnip green.  And oh yeah, there were Vidalia onion rings involved.  I ate every.single.drop. that was in that bowl. 

 


Then we were back to the resort for the Best Bagger Contest.  Our girl, Katie didn't win but she did us proud and represented us well.  And on top of that she is just the sweetest thing ever.  This bagger contest is face-paced and intense.  There are two rounds:  one for plastic and one for reusable.  They have no idea what the grocery items are going to be that are to be bagged until they walk up on the stage. The score is based on weight distribution of the bags as well as their timing.   And they're up in front of about 300 people.  It's pretty nerve racking and I was just watching. 

 


 
On Friday morning, I attended a seminar with Darrell and then decided to go into downtown Fernandina to do a little shopping while he was still in meetings.  I adore this little town.  There are such great shops and restaurants.  But I wasn't out for a leisurely stroll.  I was on a shopping mission.  Last fall, we stayed on Amelia during the Georgia Florida game and were able to spend some free time in Fernandina.  That's when I found my most favorite pair of pants ever.  They were the cutest, most comfortable pair of pants I think I've ever had and I wore them all winter.  They were black (surprise, I know) so I thought maybe a brown pair might be a good idea.  And guess what?  they had them in brown.  I snatched them right up and skipped all the way home. 

Friday night at the GFIA convention is so fun.  There is dinner, a live auction and a seriously good dance band.  We danced and danced and just had the best time.




Then Saturday was the food show which was amazing.  Of course, there is food galore but there is always a place I find my way to first.  The book table.  They give away, get this, FREE books.  Yes, I pretty much think I have died and gone to heaven when I get there.  I quickly filled up my bag with all I could carry.  On Saturday night we got all dressed up for the Chairman's Dinner.  Here we are in our finest. 


 
 
 
 
Thanks Amelia Island Plantation!  We sure had a good time!
Hope to see you soon. 
 
Love,
The Wileys
 

No comments:

Post a Comment