Sunday, July 20, 2014

A Life Well Lived

 I honestly don't know how to express what I'm feeling.  Sadness. Heartbreak. Mourning. Joy.  Sounds like which one is not like the other doesn't it?  Maybe I can explain.  On Tuesday morning, D called.  Through his tears, I heard the words I had been dreading.  I heard him say that Keaton had been rushed to the ER and it was not good.  He was on his way to  the  hospital.  I just sat there...frozen.  I couldn't move.  All I could do was cry.   And pray.   I tried to get up to get in the shower but I couldn't.  How in the world did this happen?  How could the 18 year old son of our dear friends be just hanging on to this life? 

Two years ago this strong vibrant football player got the news.  He had cancer.  Brain cancer.  For the past two years I have watched his amazing parents do everything humanly possible to find treatment for this horrible disease that had invaded the body of their youngest son.  We followed their journey through countless doctors visits, tests, hospital stays, clinical trial opportunities, all the while, praying for a miracle.  We've sat in hospital and waiting rooms anxiously awaiting some good news.  I have watched two parents whose love for their child drove them to explore every possible medical avenue imaginable.  I also witnessed a family whose faith never wavered.

Our families have been friends for many years.  When the children were younger the dads decided they would take the boys on a ski trip.  This began a tradition of an annual Spring Break trip to snow covered mountains all over the nation.  They had some great times but most of all, they made some great memories.   Eventually, the boys got older and had other commitments that made it impossible to schedule a group trip.  But they had laid a foundation of friendship that would last through the years.  Keaton was usually the youngest one to go along on the trips.  But rest assured, that didn't stop him from doing anything the other boys did ... and more.  When Keaton was first diagnosed, his friends and family began a group called "Keaton's Warriors."  Keaton was a warrior, never complaining, always positive throughout his journey.  He was an inspiration.  His parents continue to be an inspiration. 

On Tuesday evening I found myself sitting in Keaton's hospital room with three dear friends.  Keaton's mom had asked us to stay with him so he wouldn't be alone until the funeral home staff arrived.  Yes, I sat there with the shell of Keaton's physical body.  The angels had already taken him to heaven.  I know this  because several of our church staff witnessed the angels lifting his arms as they ushered him into the gates of heaven.   They saw it.  And I believe it.  I have never in my life experienced anything like this before but for some reason God had placed me in this room.  And I am so thankful He did.   I cried and then I prayed.  I prayed for our friends who were experiencing immeasurable grief.  I prayed for comfort for the days ahead as they began this horrendous journey that no parent should ever have to go on.  And then my grief took a turn.  I looked at this young man and I thought, he is now seeing Jesus!   He is now in the presence of our Holy God.  I imagined Keaton running, fully healed now, straight into the arms of the God he loved so much.  My grief somehow turned to joy.  Joy that can only come from the hope that Jesus gives for eternal life.  Joy that comes from accepting Jesus as your Savior and then living a life that honors Him.  Keaton did just that.  As I walked out of that hospital room, I kissed that precious boy on the forehead with a peace in my soul that He was finally home.  This is not the end of Keaton's story.  As believers, death in this world is not the end of our story.  Our eternal life begins when we go through that veil from this earth into heaven; when Jesus welcomes us to our heavenly home.    Yes, our hearts are broken but we are not hopeless.  Jesus binds up the broken hearted and gives hope to the hopeless.  Praise Him! 

Keaton, we'll miss you buddy. And as my Daddy said to me right before the angels took him, "I'll see you on the other side."

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demon neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."    Romans 8:38-39






No comments:

Post a Comment