Thursday, August 7, 2014

Back to School Reflections

Today is the first day back to school in our little community.  I woke up to a text from one of my good buddies declaring that it was her daughter's first day of high school.  Her daughter's beautiful face accompanied that text.  I just had to smile.  Many thoughts came rushing into my mind: thoughts of those first days of school, packing lunches, making breakfasts, driving in carpool, calming lots of nerves and saying lots of prayers. A wise mom once told me that when she dropped off her children at school, she immediately said a prayer that God would put a hedge of protection around the children spiritually, emotionally and physically.  I quickly adopted that prayer, placing it along with the many other concerns I had for my children over the years.  

For me, the days of school have passed. Some things I miss, like the great conversations we had in the car going to and from school and some things I don't, like the drama.  Have a'mercy at the drama school can cause.   That about wore me to the core.  In the rear view mirror, our school days were good.  We live in a community with great schools.  My children had amazing teachers and wonderful opportunities to pursue all kinds of interests.    I have so much respect for teachers I can't even tell you.  It's a gifting from above to be a teacher.  I do not know how they do it.  I am so very thankful that they do.   

Being a mom is the biggest blessing of my life.  I did a ton of things wrong but hopefully I did a few things right along the way.   I have the most precious of children.  So to all the moms out there still navigating the school journey, bless you.  May God give you wisdom, guidance and the patience of Job.   Every time I think about the joys and challenges of being a mom and need a little smile, I watch this.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment