Friday, August 8, 2014

Food Friday: BBQ Chicken Pizza Edition

A few days ago I went to lunch with a friend and she ordered BBQ Chicken Pizza.  It sounded so good and looked even better.   So I decided a couple of nights later, I would make a BBQ Chicken Pizza.  I've made them for years but with most dishes I make, I don't quite make things the same every time.  Exception:  baking, which is an exercise in precision.  Ingredients for cakes, pies, brownies, bars, etc. must be the same and they must be measured correctly. But aside from baking, I'm one of those "let's put this all together and see how it tastes" type people.  So, back to my pizza.  I know the basic recipe by heart but I wanted to switch things up a little.

One reason I'm putting this on the blog is because I want to remember what I did! It was pretty yummy.  The menfolk in my family agreed.   Sidenote:  I cook several chicken breasts in the slow cooker about once a week to use later for recipes.  So I already had the cooked chicken in the refrigerator. 

BBQ Chicken Pizza
Ingredients: 
1 refrigerated pizza crust ( I used Pillsbury)
4-5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Sea salt, to taste
1 onion, cut into thin slices
1 package fresh mushrooms, chopped with stems removed
2 large tomatoes, diced
2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce ( I use Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy), divided
1 cup sliced black olives
2 cups Mozzarella Cheese
1 cup cheddar cheese

 Directions:
1.  Layout pizza crust onto a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.  Brush the crust with 2-3 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.  Bake according to package directions.
2.  In a medium skillet,  drizzle about 2 tablespoons olive oil and add onion and mushrooms.  Cook over medium heat just until vegetables begin to get soft.  Add tomatoes and cook about 5 more minutes, just until they begin to get soft.   
3.  In a medium bowl, combine chicken with 1 cup sauce.  Set aside.
4.  Once crust has cooked, spread 1/2 sauce almost to the edges.    Top with onion/mushroom/tomato mixture.  Sprinkle with olives and 1 cup Mozzarella cheese.  Top with chicken and BBQ sauce mixture, then remaining cup of Mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese.
5.  Put pizza back in oven just long enough for cheese to melt.

Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment