Wednesday, September 11, 2013

September 11th

So today is September 11th.  This day doesn't go by anymore with causing to pause, does it?  I came in on the tail end of a National Geographic special about that infamous day in 2001 that G was watching last night.   It was chronicling the events of the day complete with narratives by specific individuals affected by each of the happenings of the day.  Oh.my.word.  I thought I would lose my breath when I saw the footage of that first plane hitting the WTC building and then the next and then the plane that went down in Pennsylvania and then the one that hit the Pentagon.  How many times have I seen this in the past 12 years?  many a time.  Does it take my breath away every single time? without a doubt.

Last summer I was thrilled to accompany a very special girl and her mom in NYC to celebrate the daughter's 13th birthday.  We made our way down to the Memorial site with heavy hearts all the while discussing what happened with this precious girl, who had just turned 2 at the time.  As her mother and I were relaying all that had happened again, now that we were faced with the reality of what was in front of us, we could hardly hold back the tears.  We looked down into the reflecting pools and up into the Freedom Tower under construction.  We walked around the Survivor Tree and solemnly read the boards that surround the site.  We walked past the Fire Station that was right next door and said a prayer as we read each name of those who died. 

All of this was overwhelming almost.  But the one thing that I cannot shake from my heart, was a tour we took of the site lead by two survivors.  I will never forget the man who told us he was a stockbroker in the South Tower and barely made it out.  How he walked down steps passing firefighters going up.  He said he remembers face after face who told him how to escape all the while they were headed to their death.   And I will never forget the other guide, who was also a stockbroker but in the North Tower.  She shared her story of coming to work that morning with her husband who worked on Wall Street.  They kissed goodbye right at the base of the South Tower.  They had plans to go to a Broadway Show that night and she was carrying a bag that held a new dress from Neiman Marcus and a new Coach bag she had bought for this special occasion.  And then it all happened.  She was able to get of the building (with her bag which  she said for some reason she thought she needed) but couldn't get in touch with her husband.  The rescue workers insisted she leave the premises by boat.  She had to jump into the Hudson River, swim to the boat and drop her bag into the river.  She laughed that she was even concerned about her bag but in some way it held normalcy and hope for her husband.   Can you imagine?  She told all of the details of the day and I listened in disbelief almost, like it was a story of fiction.   How could this have happened in America?  Right across from the Statue of Liberty for heavens sake.  It all still boggles my mind.  I don't understand. 

By the way, if you ever find yourself in New York City, do not miss this tour.    Proceeds support the 9/11 Tribute Center and September 11th Families’ Association, a non-profit organization.  It is well worth your money.
 
So, we live in uncertain days.  This whole Syria thing is frightening.  But what can we do?  We can pray. A lot.

I recently heard about this from Billy Graham.  I think My Hope America is worthy of our prayers as well.

“If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” (2 Chron. 7:14)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment