Monday, October 12, 2009

The Birthday Meal

When given the choice between going out to his favorite restaurant or having his momma cook for him for his birthday dinner, guess what that boy chose? Yep, some good home cookin from mom. I chose all of his favorites and it was a menu of southern comfort food if there ever was one.

Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf. I created this recipe combining my traditional recipe with inspiration from Paula Deen’s recipe. Her recipe calls for mayonnaise. In your meatloaf? Yuck. Needless to say, I didn’t add it. But to make up for the deficit in the calorie department, I topped it off with a few of those fried onion rings. Yum.
Party Potatoes. This takes your basic mashed potatoes and adds butter, sour cream, cream cheese – topped with bacon bits and shredded cheddar. E made these - amazing.
Macaroni and Cheese. Classic Southern Living recipe. The best.
Broccoli and Cheese Casserole. When I married D, I also married the cookbook from his family’s home church. Lucky me. There is absolutely nothing better than this church cookbook. I’ve used it so much, it is now held together by a giant binder clip. My children always request this dish.
Fresh-from-the-Grandparent’s-Garden Green Beans – oh, heavenly day, these are good. And were undoubtedly the healthiest thing we consumed.
Sister Schubert’s Yeast Rolls . That’s right, I let the Sister make these and she never lets me down. These can be found in your friendly local grocer’s frozen food aisle. Melt in your mouth.
Dessert. Well, my boy is not a dessert eater. A trait he did not receive from me. So he let me pick out the dessert. What did I choose? Yep, the Harvest Apple Pound Cake – topped off with 20 big candles!
As you can see, we consumed our fair share of fat grams and calories but it was worth every one of them. A most happy of birthdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment