Thursday, October 15, 2009

Entertainment Tonight

I love to entertain. I love to have family and friends in my home on a regular basis. But that hasn’t always been the case. It used to make me really, really nervous – probably because of my perfectionist tendencies. You know, you want everything, and I mean everything to be perfect. But I eventually sat myself down and had myself a talkin to. I said, “listen, girlfriend, perfection is not going to happen around here so get over it.” Get over the fact that I don’t have that chair recovered in the great room, that I didn’t have time to run the vacuum, that I didn’t make a homemade dessert. That is totally not the point of entertaining. The point is to welcome people into your home, sit around the table together and enjoy some great fellowship – to build or enhance relationships.

Sounds like I’m in my comfort zone now right. I thought so too. Until today. D invited some friends over for dinner tonight. He knows them quite well as they have had a close business relationship over the past several months. I, however, did not know them as well and okay, I admit, my perfectionist tendencies were out of control! Not only were they coming for dinner but they were coming mid-afternoon to discuss some issues that are very important to our business. So that meant I had to have most of the meal prepared by 3 as well as have some hors devours out for us to snack on while we were talking. Now, don’t get me wrong, these folks are great. We love them. It was totally me, just me, who was putting the pressure on myself. So feeling totally overwhelmed I did what any good hostess would do – I sat down and put my feet up for a minute. I opened the laptop to an entertaining blog I read regularly. There in big bold letters was what I needed to see – “Hospitality is not about having the best, newest or most beautiful. It’s about sharing your heart and home with others.” Amen, sister. Got it.

So, all that to say, we had a fabulous time with these new friends. I took a deep breath and enjoyed every minute of it. I want them to come back next week. Just in case you were wondering, this is what was on the menu:
First - Shrimp Cocktails. I may be biased but our store has the absolute best shrimp in their seafood market. I even hung those babies on the side of my cute little bowls like a professional.
Main Course – filet mignon. Since D didn’t want to stand in the rain while these were on the grill, we cooked them on the stovetop in the grill pan. If you don’t have a grill pan, you should. It will change your life.
Baked sweet potatoes with cinnamon/honey butter. Here’s your tip for today. Soften a stick of butter; then mix it with about 2 tablespoons each of cinnamon and honey. Put it in one of those cute little glass butter jars they have at the Targets. (wish I knew how to post a picture – I would show you) and put it back in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. Yum! Baked asparagus. This is super good and super easy. Just drizzle asparagus with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic sea salt. Put on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 for about 12/15 minutes. I love it – I eat these like French fries! And a fabulous salad complete with the last of the home grown tomatoes.
Dessert - sad news. There was none. These folks are on a sugar strike so I did not want to tempt.

So, I challenge you today, step right out of your comfort zone and invite some folks over. Share your heart and home with others. I think you’ll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment