Thursday, October 8, 2009

Three Days in the Life

Since I know that you go missing me if I’m gone too long from blogland, I’ll give you an update about my past three days.

Tuesday. It was a whirlwind of preparations as I was hosting a soiree (Southern women host soirees not just plain parties) honoring a long time friend who recently left the position of minister of women at our church. We surprised her with a time of food, fellowship and fun. We have been so blessed over the years by her ministry through authentic example. She has been a wonderful leader of women through Bible study, the annual getaway retreat to “be still” and her flat out love for women who are navigating their journey of faith. While she is very humble and doesn’t want any recognition, she deserves a great big ole shout out for serving so faithfully all those years! We love you, girlfriend! Can’t wait for our next adventure!

Wednesday. I decided to treat myself to a little accessory shopping. You do know I love me some accessories whether it be home or fashion. Yesterday – it was fashion. I’ve decided rather than buy big ticket items this year to “refresh” my wardrobe, I’ll go with a less expensive accessories approach. So off to load up on accessories I went. They do make an outfit you know. As you recall, I am having a love/hate relationship with the whole scarf idea. I really don’t know what to do with one once I have it. I’ve already bought two. Worn them both. Still don’t know. So what do you do when that happens? Go out and buy three more. Call me crazy because that is exactly what I did yesterday – solid brown, black/white houndstooth and red/black check. So now, I have a total of five scarves that I don’t know what to do with. Oh, and while this wasn’t really an accessory, well, technically it could be, actually it probably wasn’t – I bought the absolute cutest light weight jacket at the Targets. (My sweet mama adds a “the” and an “s” to the name of every store so I’ve kinda got in the habit. We go to the Rosses, the Old Navys, the Steinmarts – you get the idea.) Anyway, back to the oh so cute jacket. Recommended by a friend, I didn’t want to let her down so off I went, walked right in. They had one left in the lime green so knowing it had to be destiny, five minutes later it was mine.

Oh a quick note to the Target women’s clothing buyer because I’m sure she or he is reading– women like color, at least in our neck of the woods. There were four colors available in this jacket – black, khaki, lime green and red. I bought the last lime green one, there was one red left and there were at least a dozen of each of the black and khaki left hanging there. Now, I like black as well as the next girl but we got to have us some color up next to our faces! Black below the belt hides a multitude of sins but color breathes life into an aging face (at least I want to think so – please don’t burst my bubble).

Thursday. Well, I came away from Bible study this morning totally reflective and recharged. Beth Moore’s study of Esther is simply profound. This week we studied the most remembered verse in the book of Esther, “and who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this.” (4:14) Try to wrap your brain around this quote from the study.
“We can refuse to walk in obedience to God or cower in fear from our calling and He will undoubtedly still accomplish His agenda. As for us, however, we will pass up the fulfillment of our own entire life-purpose and perhaps even our “father’s family” will miss a mighty work.”

God will still accomplish His agenda with or without us. But I really want to be a part of His-story, don’t you? I’ve been thinking about my life purpose a lot today. God has something big brewing, I can feel it.

And that is that.

1 comment:

  1. The soiree was quite the surprise and filled your house with some of the most amazing women I have had the privilege knowing. AND the carmel apple cake was delicieuse and the scarf was tres chique! I tried the bare feet attempt at staying cool however, and am afraid that I will have to continue my terry towel scarf trend to catch the hot flash drips from my double chin. OH, speaking of which, I learned a great way to disguise mid life jowls without plastic surgery. SMILE - check it out, it works!

    One last word of wisdom just for you girlfriend,
    For such a time as this:
    Please ponder possibilities for presenting precious, practical and particularly pleasant plans for partying to a population of probable princesses. There is such a plethora of positively powerful premises to pass on to pupils, professionals and pen pals. Pledge to prevent pop-in-jays, procrastinators and pretentious party poopers from participating as they do not possess the popularity to promote playful programs and would prohibit production and promotion of public pomp and pedantry.
    Plenteous Praise,
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete