Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Mundane

This past week I heard some rumblings from all two of you who read my blog that I had only posted once. I am extremely flattered that you would miss me. So with that spark of encouragement, I will try to do better. No matter that my post may contain not an ounce of post-worthiness or substance. Nonetheless, I vow to post even the mundane.


Oh . . . my goodness. Lest I think that even the mundane is mundane, I just looked up the meaning for the word (checking to be sure that I was using it correctly). Get this!! This is the definition that dictionary.com gives for mundane: “of or pertaining to this world or earth as contrasted with heaven.” Did you hear that? As contrasted with heaven. Well, I would step out on a limb here and say, everything thing we know in this life on earth is mundane. We may think we have seen and heard some awesome, inspiring and flat out, amazing things but EVERYTHING on this earth pales in comparison to heaven. Not that I know that personally.


But as God would have it, I read “90 Minutes in Heaven” by Don Piper just this week. If you aren’t familiar with it, here is a short synopsis. On the way home from a conference in Texas in January of 1989, Don Piper’s car was crushed by a semi that crossed into his lane. He died instantly. At least that’s what the EMTs who arrived on the scene said. His car and body completely mangled, they checked him for a pulse . . . he didn’t have one. So, assuming he was dead, they covered him and his car with a tarp and tended to the injuries in the other vehicles. While his body lay lifeless inside the ruins of his car, Piper experienced the glories of heaven. Ninety minutes after the wreck, a minister who was coming from the same conference Piper had just attended, came up on the devastation. This minister felt the need to get in that mangled car and pray for him. Suddenly while this man was praying, Piper’s pulsed returned. He literally returned from his earthly death . . . and his heavenly homecoming.
This man experienced 90 minutes in heaven. His description of it will simply give you goose bumps. You really need to read this for yourself but here is just an excerpt from the book about his experience in heaven:
“Everything I experienced was like a first-class buffet for the senses. I had never felt such powerful embraces or feasted my eyes on such beauty. Heaven’s light and texture defy earthly eyes or explanation. Warm, radiant light engulfed me. As I looked around, I could hardly grasp the vivid, dazzling colors. Every hue and tone surpassed anything I had ever seen.”
Oh, I can’t wait to get there. Well, I can. While we don’t want to leave this earth and the ones we love, we just cannot imagine what lies before us as believers. God has prepared for us a place like nothing we can even comprehend. Hebrews 11:16 says “But they were looking for a better place, a heavenly homeland. That is why God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.” (NLT)


Beloved, when I sat down to type this post I was going to tell you about some totally “mundane” happenings in my life. How was I to know that the even the mundane would turn toward heaven. Do you realize that as believers we will go from earthly, mortal, mundane beings to heavenly, immortal beings in an instant? That we will be in the actual presence of the Prince of Peace, Kings of Kings, the Rock of our Salvation and the Great I Am forever? That, in the words of Beth Moore, “we will unzip our earthly bodies and walk free of their encumbrance and, in perfect health and vitality, step straight into the lives we were saved to live.”


I am simply without any more words. All I can hear in my mind are these from the Doxology:
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; Praise Him all creatures here below; Praise Him above ye heavenly host; Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, girlfriend. I have nothing on you! I just had the best 15 minutes enjoying your entire blog to date. If you do not write a book before I die, I want to know why. I am so glad that I know you - I can just hear your voice saying 'I ate Varsity french fries, yes I did!"
    WE gotta take the show on the road - your entry theme song can be:


    Fee, fee, fi, fi, fo-fo, fum.
    C F C
    Look at Crevolyn now, here she comes.
    C
    Wearin' her wig hat and shades to match,

    she's got high-heel shoes and an alligator hat.
    F
    Wearin' her pearls and her diamond rings,
    C
    she's got bracelets on her fingers, now, and everything..

    CHORUS:
    G7
    Devil with the blue dress, polka dots, and stripes, yes!
    F
    Devil with the blue dress on.


    Wearin' red lipstick, Urban decay no. 5
    C F C
    Got to be the finest girl alive.
    C
    She walks real cool, catches everybody's eye.

    She got such good lovin' they can't say goodbye.
    F
    Not too skinny, she's not too fat..
    C
    She's a real humdinger and I like it like that..
    ........................................
    Keep on writin girlfriend - love ya :)

    ReplyDelete