Thursday, January 28, 2010

Facebook Friends

Well, those of you who know me well know that I have resisted the whole Facebook phenomenon for several years. First of all, whenever I would even utter the word Facebook, my children would immediately turn to me with panic in their eyes and scream "pleeeease, Mom, do not go on Facebook. That is just wrong. But if you feel you must, we will not, will. not. be your friend." Excuse me? What do you mean you won't be my friend? Obviously, the whole unique Facebook language was foreign to me "Friend" "Write on your wall," "Become a Fan," "News Feed." Whatever.

Okay: Hit pause and rewind to yesterday morning.

I was having a breakfast meeting with E and my best girl, N (inside joke).
Subject Matter? Technology Education for the Elder Generation 101.
E was so gracious to spend her entire morning trying her best to educate two 50 something women about social media on the big ole world wide web. Suffice it to say, she had her work cut out for her. But she was as patient as Job, and didn't once say out loud "you are two of the dumbest things I've ever been in the presence of." Not once. Not out loud. To which we say, thank you, honey. We appreciate that. She answered our 451 questions about Facebook, blogs, websites, google, domains, blah, blah, blah.

Now, my best girl, N was a little more advanced in this department than I and actually already has a Facebook account which, by the way, her son set up for her. Which now officially answers the question of why we gave birth to children. So, E decided right then and there that I would have a Facebook page or account . . . I don't know, whatever you have. I now have one.

So please congratulation me on being inducted into the Facebook country club. And I'm good with it. I'll even tell you this: I was just a little more than excited when I acquired 15 new friends in my Facebook life in the course of one short afternoon. I even wrote E a text and told her. To which she replied, "great mom. I think I have 700 friends." How does one girl have 700 friends? Which could lead me into another whole dissertation on friendships and acquaintances but I'll save that for another day (you Wising Up girls know what I'm talking about) So, just let me think that I am the most popular girl on the block however false and faux the popularity. Since these same people are my friends in real life too. This is really too much for me.

Oh!! I just checked my Facebook page and guess what? Three more somebodies want to be my friend AND they left a comment on my "wall." WooHoo! This is so exciting! I may actually like this and wonder why I resisted for so long.

Side note: My girl decided being my Facebook friend wasn't so bad after all. We even had a Facebook chat this afternoon. (figured that out all by myself, thank you).

Facebook. Me? Who would have thought it? Now, just in case there is any question . . I officially draw the line at Twitter. I will not be twitting, or tweating, or chirping, or whatever they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment