Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Momma Said, Part 2

Well, if you read yesterday's post you know that by 10:00 a.m. last Thursday I had already been completely embarrassed to no official end. I really wanted to just go home and not see any member of the human race (except for my husband) for the rest of the day. That would have suited me just fine but nooo . . . that wouldn't happen.

Mother and I came back into town to go the local cable TV company to take care of some details about our changing over to another provider (another very long story). Anyway, as I was walking up the steps to the front door of this company, I looked over to my left and there, laying in the pine straw . . .was a young lady. Yes, that's what I said . . . a young lady was laying in the pine straw, covered in the tv components that had formally been in her hands, outside this building completely unconscious. Another woman behind me saw her at the same time and we both rushed over to her. Lifting the electronics off of her, we realized quickly she was in trouble. I ran to the car and got a blanket to cover her up while the other lady called 911. She was able to answer a few of the questions the paramedics were relaying but never opened her eyes. Finally, her voice though a whisper, she said, "I'm 22 weeks pregnant." Oh boy, that changes everything. Have mercy. She asked us, in just short gasps, to please go get her phone out of her car and call her husband. We were instructed by the paramedics on the phone who were now in route to keep her talking; do not let her drift into unconsciousness again were our instructions. So, good glory, what do I say? Do you know if it's a boy or a girl? I asked. "No" she said. Is this your first baby? "yes, I'm so scared. What is wrong?" is all she could whisper. I thought my heart would break for her. Finally, we heard the sirens in the distance. Thank you, Lord. Those young medical men were so gentle with her as they spoke, listened and soon lifted her onto the gurney to take her to the hospital.

I only know her first name. But Ashley, wherever you are, I hope that you and that sweet baby of yours are okay.

And that's not the end of my day. I'll be back with the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment