Monday, January 25, 2010

Shoes and Chocolate

Well, I'm sitting her at 11:30 p.m. all by myself as my husband is working late. So what is a girl to do when her mind is left to wander on its own? I have lofty goals for tonight. The new InStyle and Southern Living are laying over there on the dresser just waiting for me to devour them but before I dive into that project, I thought I might just share two of my favorite things. Hmmm . . . shoes and chocolate.

Shoes: These adorable little things caught my eye at a Decorator Show House of all places. Yes, there they were sitting as props for the massive master closet of this home ( this closet was the entire second floor of the three car garage - does that tell you how big it was?) Anyway, I saw these beauties and instantly could not live without them (not really, I could have lived without them if they had been more than $50, which they weren't, so that's when I decided I couldn't live without them.) The girlfriends and I drove 25 miles out of our way to track these babies down at an adorable little shop up in the mountains. Now, you know you have you some good girlfriends when they'll drive that far out of their way just to help you chase your shoe indulgence. Anyway, they aren't the most comfortable slipper on the shelf but let's just say that's not the point. So what is the point? They are way cute and I feel kinda young and perky in them. And I've decided that's not a bad thing after all.


I have tried 5 times now to rotate this durn picture so you could look at it like a normal person and it simply will not work. I hope you don't get a crick in your neck. Sorry.


Chocolate: If I could put a picture beside the word YUM in the dictionary, this would be it. We all know for a fact that chocolate will cure any ailment so consider this just what the doctor ordered. I whipped this up for the Monday Night Girls tonight. It's our first night back together for Bible study since before Christmas. And since we are getting us some wisdom with Beth Moore, I thought I would make her famous Texas sheet cake. Glory day, I could eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next three days but I won't. I could . . . but I won't. Instead, I'm wrapping it all up and sending it up to the crew who are working through the night. They deserve it.




Interested in the recipe? Here you go.

Beth's Texas Sheet Cake
Grease a sheet cake pan.

Sift: 2 cups all-purpose flour and 2 cups sugar

Bring to a boil:2 sticks butter
1 cup water
4 tbsp. cocoa

Pour over dry mixture and mix in: 2 eggs 1/2 cup buttermilk 1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon 1 tsp. vanilla

Bake at 400 degrees, 20-25 minutes.

Icing: Heat 1 stick butter 4 tbsp. cocoa 6 tbsp. milk Add anywhere from 1/2 to 1 box of powdered sugar to achieve desired consistency (Beth prefers close to 1 box) and 1 cup pecans.

Spread on cake while it's hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment