Sunday, November 28, 2010

Black Food Friday!

Why in the world did I think I needed to get up at 5:15 a.m. again on Friday morning? On the one day of the year when every single one of the crazy people get out of bed at the same time. I only have one explanation. My girl wanted me to. And that you know is all it takes.

I met her at 6:15 at Chick-fila. But goodness knows, we were not alone. The place was packed. I saw D's aunt and her daughter and they had already made two stops and lots of purchases. E and I apparently were late arrivers to this whole shopping party but we were okay with that. However, we quickly consumed our nutritious breakfast and caffeine-infused beverage and headed out. Mind you, E had to be at work at 8:00 a.m. and it was already 6:45.

First stop, Old Navy. They had $15 men's jeans (maybe women's too but who had time to go through the ordeal of finding a pair of jeans at this hour?). Forgetting the hour, I called D to see if he wanted in on the deal. I woke him up. Silence. Oh no. In his always-kind-and-loving-tone he says, "are you really calling me at this hour to ask me if I want a pair of jeans?" I let out a barely audible, "yes, but maybe this wasn't a good idea after all. I think I'll just let you go back to sleep." I don't think I could have felt worse.

Second stop: Michaels. Had a coupon. Got what I wanted. Done. Check.
Next stop: Bed, Bath and Beyond. Bought 4 gifts - woohoo!

It was a great day. I ended up having lunch with D, G and D's parents at Brad's Grill. Honestly, we could not have planned it if we'd tried. Nothing like a cheeseburger and some slaw to jumpstart your mid-day slump.
And I knew that needed to happen because we had big plans for the evening. We were going to dinner and the John Berry concert with E and N and N's parents. And because of that alone, I was energized! Yay! I'm sure I don't have to remind you how much I enjoy N's parents and to top that off with John Berry - it just doesn't get much better.

I won't blabber on and on about how much fun I had and how much I love John Berry because I know you've heard it all before. Suffice it to say . . . it was a great ending to a great week.

I will not forget about Food Friday. I will not forget about Food Friday. I'll write it 100 times. But maybe you'll cut me some slack since I was in some sort of food and shopping induced comatose state on that day.

Well, these little darlins' are causing a stir all over town. I made these for testing purposes a couple of weeks ago and because this recipe makes almost 60, I dispersed these to lots of folks - D's co-workers, the Jacobs Media staff, friends and family. I have heard nothing but rave reviews. This recipe is a keeper. These would be great to make for your upcoming Christmas gathering. You're gonna love em!

Homemade Almond Joys
Ingredients:
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons pure vanilla extract
5 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
60-90 salted roasted almonds
2 bags milk chocolate chips
Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Stir in coconut. The mixture will be thick. Place mixture in the freezer for 30 minutes.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the coconut mixture from the freezer. With clean hands, shape one tablespoon of coconut into a little log about 2 inches long and ¾ inch thick. Press the logs together very well so they don’t crack.
3. Press 1 or 2 almonds on top of each log.
4. Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator to chill while melting the chocolate.
5. Place a medium pot with two inches of water over a medium flame. Bring the water to a simmer. Place chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl and place the bowl over the simmering water. Stir the chocolate as it melts. Turn off the heat once the chocolate has melted but keep the bowl of chocolate over the hot water.
6. Remove the coconut candies from the fridge. Spoon chocolate over the top of each coconut log.
7. Let candy harden in the refrigerator for 45 minutes. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Use wax paper if you layer in containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment