Friday, November 12, 2010

Food Friday

Happy Friday! What have you been doing today? Well I've been b-u-s-y, thanks for asking. Next Thursday night is the annual Jingle Mingle on the downtown Square and since Wonderful Events now has an office inside Mainstreet Market, our little space has to be all dressed up and ready for Christmas by then. So . . . I've been to our local wholesale florist twice in the past two days along with trips to Big Lots (which has fabulous Christmas items by the way) and of course, the mecca of all things holiday, Hobby Lobby. I think I have accumulated all of my supplies for decorating the tree and accessorizing the wreaths. The wreath adorning is a new venture for me, by the way. I am a going to try my hand at wiring/hot gluing your average fir wreaths into something fabulous using ribbon, garland and ornaments. We'll see. I'm kinda a gene short in the crafting pool so this may turn out to be a total disaster. If so, I'm not too proud to admit my defeat and consult a crafting professional.

And speaking of crafting, E and I are getting together tomorrow afternoon for a little "Ornament Crafting Party." I've done extensive search on the internet and come up with two of the easiest ornament construction projects ever created. The age requirement on both: 6 and up. Yep, that's about my speed. E will probably fly by me and create an ornament masterpiece. Our men folk will occupy themselves with the Georgia/Auburn game and all will be well with the world. If Georgia wins that is . . .

Okay, to the issue at hand - Food Friday. All this week and until Thanksgiving, I'll be talking about recipes to make your Thanksgiving menu fabulous on the What's for Supper segment. Therefore, I have over a dozen recipes that are perfect for any menu but especially during the holidays. I decided to share this recipe in honor of D's mom. She was making this dish when I married into the family.

Baked Curried Fruit
Ingredients:
1 can (20 oz) chunk pineapple
1 can (20 oz) pear halves
1 can (20 oz) peach halves
10 maraschino cherries
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon curry powder - more or less to taste
Directions:
1. Drain fruit; cut up as desired.
2. Combine fruit and place in a 2 quart casserole.
3. Melt butter in a medium bowl. Stir in brown sugar and curry powder. Pour brown sugar mixture over fruit.
4. Cook for about 30 minutes in 350° oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment