Sunday, November 28, 2010

Dahlonega and The Turkey Trot!

It's Sunday already and I haven't even told you about the rest of my week last week. Uneventful by some standards but here goes.
On Wednesday I worked at the office and then came home, packed a quick bag and hopped in the truck with D to go to Dahlonega. That afternoon there were big happenings in that little town in that our Nation's Capitol Christmas tree was passing through on it's way to D.C. This year's tree is from Wyoming so they had already journeyed across the country on the way to their final destination. The company that is in charge of transporting that massive tree is based in Dahlonega so he wanted to make sure that his hometown got a look at it. What I thought was interesting was that on one truck was the tree - over 100 feet from bumper to bumper. On a second truck were an additional 75 smaller trees along with over 65,000 (yes, that's correct) ornaments that artisans in Wyoming had made to adorn these trees. I just think that is so cool.

The radio show was live from the square that day so since D had to go to the store up there anyway, I just thought I would ride along. And I'm so glad I did. It was so fun. I bet there were over 1,000 people there. There were bands playing, face painting and of course, the most popular was the big man himself, Santa.
The truck was delayed getting to Dahlonega because of traffic so it wasn't there by the time we had to leave. We did, however, meet it coming up Hwy. 400 on our way down to Atlanta. We were spending the night in Atlanta because of the Turkey Trot start bright and early the next morning.
I am so proud of my husband, daughter and son-in-law for running and walking 13.1 miles Thanksgiving morning. They were amazing. I, on the other hand, walked a 5K on my three trips between the porta-potty and our parking spot at Turner Field. I just didn't get a t-shirt to prove it.
Just a few photos to share. This is George and BJ doing the radio show on the balcony of the Dahlonega Visitors Center, high above all the action.

This was my view once I got up to the balcony to do the show. The Square is beautifully decorated. It is definitely worth a trip up there to maybe do a little shopping or say get a little treat at the Fudge Factory. Not that I would know about either of those.


Here are my Turkey Trotters - successfully completed their first Half Marathon! Way to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment