Sunday, December 19, 2010

It's a Wonderful Life!

I've been hearing rumblings from one of my regular readers (aka my firstborn) that I haven't been posting often enough for her liking. Well, you know, it's not like I've been sitting around eating bon-bons (or Nutter Butter cookie truffles - hypothetically speaking, of course). So let's just see what I've been up to the past few days. I am requiring order in my life right now, therefore my writing will be numbered. Just the way I like it.

1. Wednesday morning I volunteered at the Care Center. What a blessing it is to be there. I count it a privilege and an honor to share the love of Jesus with the women who come through those doors.
2. Wednesday evening was our annual Christmas Communion at church. This is one of my favorite things to do during the Christmas season. And to make it even more special, not only were my immediate family members all there, so was my momma, D's parents, and our niece. It was awesome. D's sister and her husband were expected to come but they got caught in the 285 parking lot during the ice storm that night. Thankfully, they made it safely to D's parent's house later that evening. I had chili cooking in the crock pot for everyone afterwards along with a Sour Cream Pound Cake, Buttermilk Coconut Pie and German Chocolate Fudge for dessert. You can't have too many desserts I always say.
3. On Thursday, I had lunch with one of my favorite people. You've heard me talk about D's aunts who I love so very much. Well, one of them lives right here in Gainesville so we get together periodically for lunch and this time, to exchange Christmas gifts. We laughed, we cried and everything in between. And we had chicken quesadillas. I don't know what it is with me and chicken quesadillas but every time I go anywhere I feel compelled to order them. They took me to my happy place.
4. Friday, oh, Friday was non-stop. I got to the office about 10:00. Now getting to the office at 10 may sound like I laid in the bed til 9 and then got ready and went. No, sirree. I was out the door by 7:30 and ran errands right up til 10. You know how it is this time of year, there's a million things to do. If the stores would open before 10 in the morning, that would be very helpful. At 11:00 E and I were meeting a bride and her mother. One coming from Ohio; the other from Alabama. There is a really long story about how this couple arrived to get married at Montaluce Winery in May and you wouldn't believe me if I sorted it all out for you. It was incredible. Anyway, we LOVED this mother and daughter. E said to me after the fact, "Mom, they were just like the northern version of us." It was true and that statement just made me smile.
5. Friday afternoon: As you know, I usually go into the radio station at about 4:40 p.m. every day, for about 20 minutes, to do the What's for Supper? segment. Well, the big news on Friday was that the George and BJ Show was coming to us - J and J Foods Limestone Parkway location!! They did the whole show right there in the frozen food section. I thought this was a great idea when we all first talked about it. Then I went to a meeting concerning the details and soon discovered that I was to not only be there the whole time, I would do 10 different segments!! Now granted they were very short segments but still you have to appear to know what you're talking about during those segments. Whoowee! It was interesting to say the least but I had a great time. The folks at Jacobs Media are truly the greatest folks to work with and we just could not have had more fun!
At about 6:15, when the show was over, I ran home, grabbed G, D and our Christmas gifts and headed to D's parent's house for our celebration with his family. Oh, my goodness. As soon as I walked in the door, I could smell the awesomeness. I kicked off those high heels I had been wearing all day and settled in for an amazing evening. We had ham, creamed corn, green beans, sweet potato casserole, homemade yeast rolls - need I go on? We took our traditional family photo, opened gifts, played the Wii and overall, enjoyed each other's company.
6. Yesterday morning, E and I had our annual Cookie Baking Day. We decided to mix it up a little as far as our cookies and little did we know, how much we really would mix it up. I have told y'all that I have created what I call, Crevolyn's Christmas Cookie. So I was telling her about it and feeling a little on the wild side, we decided to change it up even more with our ingredients. What we didn't realize til right before we got ready to drop them on the cookie sheet was that we had left out a very important ingredient - the brown sugar. Oh.No. We had put the white sugar in but completely forgot the brown sugar. I told E that we would have to just go with it and guess what? They turned out great, different but great. This was D's comment when he tasted them, "this may be the weirdest cookie I have ever tasted. It's like a pecan sandie with no pecan, just sandie and chocolate. I can't stop eating them." Now, I'm not quite ready to give away all my secrets because well, to be honest, I haven't quite perfected it yet. It's a process, you know.
Then we made Cookie Truffles with Nutter Butters and milk chocolate. This is another story. We get to the point in the recipe where you are supposed to chill them before you dip them in the chocolate. So, I think I'll be really smart, and go put them out in the cooler in the garage. I get one cookie sheet full in the cooler and then the second. Except the second one is sitting on some bottles and yep, you guessed it, it shifted and cookie truffles went rolling everywhere! All over that garage floor! It was a sad moment in our cookie baking day. But the show must go on and we made it through and had a great time. Finished in plenty of time to have lunch at Panera so all was well with the world.
7. This morning, D and I were pretty tired so we decided we would go to our 11:00 service at church. Now this is what they call the Real Life Service, but we affectionately call it the Rock and Roll Service. But this morning, the music could not have been better. It was awesome. Yes, it was loud and yes, the drums were prevalent. Oh, and get this, the drum line from Chestatee High School even made an experience during one of the songs. It was so cool. I am constantly amazed at the talent of these folks. And Tom's sermon was again, the best. I hope I can share more about it later in the week.
8. Okay, so then after church, we decided to go out to lunch. I have cooked alot this week and honestly, I needed a break. So, we went to one of those buffet places, where it's all you can eat and you pay as you go in. I really wasn't paying much attention as D was paying but something did catch my attention very soon. D handed this young lady a $10 bill for our lunch. Ten Dollars for both of us to eat lunch?? I kinda looked at him puzzled and he just smiled. I thought, oh no, it couldn't be, it just couldn't be. I proceeded to go through the line and couldn't wait until we got to the table to ask the question. Before I could even open my mouth, D handed me the receipt. OH.NO. She.Did.Not. She.Couldn't.Have. But she did. She gave us the . . . Senior Discount.
And on that note I'm done. I'm going to go put my teeth in a glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment