Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Long and Short of It

You know it's that time of year when you are in such a flurry you don't know exactly where the time goes. This week has been full of the usual for this time of year - working, shopping, wrapping, and cooking mixed in with a little (or alot) of time spent in the Windowshop. We were there on Monday, Tuesday and went to the Mart on Wednesday to buy for the shop. Folks keep buying and we keep stocking it; trying to make it look attractive. It very well could be a full time job if we let it.

And in between all that, I am trying to do my real job. We are working with three of the sweetest brides ever who are all three planning weddings for next fall. But . . . right now is when all the decisions are being made on things such as vendors, colors, and venues. Their save-the-dates are going out and they are on top of it. They are wanting things done and done right which, by the way, is the way we do things.

Just a couple of things that I think you may need to know in absolutely no order whatsoever.
1. First of all, I just want you to know how much I love the wrapping paper that they sell at Hobby Lobby. Love it. It has lines on the back for cutting and on top of that; it's thick but not too thick; and it is just plain beautiful.
2. I have bought the best Christmas presents this year for my family and friends. I cannot wait to give them their gifts! There is nothing I love better than to give someone something that they love. I am surrounded by good "gift-givers" in my family so that really raises the bar in the whole gifting area. I wish I could tell you about them but I happen to know that at least three of the recipients are frequent readers, so I'm gonna have to keep my mouth shut on this one.
3. I said this last year and I'll say it again, Harry Connick Jr.'s Christmas CD is fabulous. I love it so much.
4. As you know, I'm just not that into politics but I do have an interest in who is elected and what kind of, how should I say this, moral foundation they have. D, on the other hand, reads about it, listens to talk radio about it and watches tv about it. I get worn out with the whole thing in about oh, maybe 15 minutes. However, when I saw the email come through from the Chamber about the Eggs and Issues Breakfast Meeting this morning at the Civic Center, I knew I wanted to go. Our new governor-elect and Lieutenant Governor were both there as well as most of the elected officials from our area. Our governor-elect and Lt. Governor are both from Gainesville which honestly, is pretty amazing when you think about it. As I sat there and listened to all these men speak, I thought about several things.
It's a pretty thankless job.
It comes with alot of risk to the person in office as well as their families.
You have to know alot about alot of stuff. I sat there thinking, how do they know all of this information about all of these issues, serve on 42 committees at the Capital and still have time to run businesses and raise families?
I just know, my prayers go with them as they attempt to make a better place for us, our children and the generations to come.
5. Do you not love getting Christmas cards in the mail? I love the ones with photos. Just makes me smile. We attempted to have our family photo made over the weekend and that was pretty much was a disaster. So I may just have to live vicariously through those of you who send me super awesome pictures of your families this year. If the mood strikes, I might attempt it.
6. I get to go on a date with my husband tomorrow night! I'm so excited. This has been a really, really stressful week for him at work so we are going to forget our troubles and drive up to Dahlonega, have some supper and take in a local theatre production. The play is "Nuncrackers" and if it is anything like it's predecessor, "Nunsense," we should be in for a treat. I'll let you know.
7. It is cold. Cold, cold. Honestly, I don't mind the cold as long as we don't have snow, ice or anything resembling them. In my opinion, the cold just makes the fire warmer, the house cozier and the Christmas tree brighter.
8. My boy has one more final in the morning and then he is done for the semester. Let's just say this has been a most trying couple of months for our family and I'm ready for a fresh start. The boy has persevered through some tough circumstances and for that, I could not be prouder of him.

Well, that's it for now. I've got some cooking to do and I better get in there and do it.
Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment