Wednesday, September 23, 2009

All I Wanted was Lipstick

I just returned from the mall area where I made a stop at the mega-cosmetic-superstore. Now this was sensory overload. I went with one thing in mind – a great red lipstick. You know how I feel about red. And every girl worth her weight in cosmetics needs a great lipstick. Do you have any idea how many lipsticks, red or otherwise, were in this store? There were at least a 1000 if there was one. I thought my head would explode. I finally asked for help - HELP! The cutest little 20 something picked out four or five choices and we went to the counter for me to sit and for her to slather on the products.
I had the following options – lipstick out of the traditional tube, one out of a squirt tube, one with a wand, and one with a stick. I’m sure these all have fancy names but what I really wanted was a great red lipstick – the old fashion way. Is it too much to ask? Well, she started coloring – except she didn’t stay within the lines. Her teacher must have told her she didn’t have to. She painted me on some lips that were twice the size of my own. Honestly, I looked in the mirror and laughed out loud. Oops, she said. I guess you don’t want lips that big? No, not today, I said. But big, luxurious lips are in, she said. Not on this face. I think you have to possess the lips to own that look, I said. Okay, well, let’s work with what you have then, she said. Yes indeed, let’s work with what I have.


Finally, my choice was made - “Revolution” by Urban Decay. Urban Decay Cosmetics tag line - “beauty with an edge.” I don’t think I am cool enough for this line of products. Get this – the lipstick tube has a dagger in the end of it. What? It is definitely settled. I’m officially not cool enough for this. This is what it says on the side of the lipstick box “armored by a menacing dagger, it’s a weapon of love. It’s lipstick with an urban twist, leaving no evidence behind, his collar should be so lucky.” It’s lipstick for crying out loud!! But with that in mind, I’m going to go put on my “weapon of love” and wait for my husband to get home. Maybe his collar won’t be the only thing that’s lucky!!!

3 comments: