Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Are We the Biggest Losers?

Did you see the premier of the new season last Tuesday night? I really don’t watch much television. Okay, let me rephrase that, I don’t watch many shows that aren’t on The Food Network or HGTV. But, Biggest Loser is one of my “can’t miss” shows. And this one did not disappoint. Lots of drama and excitement. First of all, let me just say, that I would like this show even more if Jillian would please not feel the need to use extremely bad language in the face of every contestant when they are trying their best to walk the last 30 seconds on the treadmill or climb the dreaded ladder. I know, she gets results but the constant bleeping gets really annoying after awhile. And I feel so bad for whoever she chooses to yell at that day. At least, they are trying, okay!
Anyway, 16 contestants, including Daniel from last season. He came back because this season is called the “season of second chances.” He has already lost 142 pounds. Amazing! My other favorites: Coach Mo and Abby. Oh my goodness. I was sobbing after hearing Abby’s story. She is a 35 year old teacher from Texas. In 2006, she lost her husband, 5 year old daughter and 2 ½ week old son in a fatal car crash. I thought my heart would break into pieces.
The Biggest Loser made me think - about a lot of things. First, that I should probably go get on the treadmill myself. Second, about how eating fills an emotional void and how intertwined and complicated that can be. And about losers. Now we all know that the term “loser” has a negative meaning in our society. Big “L” on the forehead – you get the picture. The dictionary says: Loser – a person that suffers loss. Loss: the state of being without something one has had. So consider what Paul said in Philippians 3:7-9: “But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish that I may gain Christ and be found in him.” Whatever Paul had considered profit – maybe his credentials, power or successes, he now considered it loss (“rubbish”) for the sake of Christ, of knowing Him and having a personal relationship with Him.

Made me think. What is my “profit?” and am I willing to give it all up to gain Christ? To make a sacrifice so that I may know the “surpassing greatness of knowing Christ?” I have to lose to gain? Yes, I have to lose myself, my selfish, prideful, sinful self to gain the greatest gift ever given. A personal relationship with God Himself who loves me, forgives me, redeems me, restores me and who died a horrible death and was then resurrected so that I can have eternal life.
Am I willing to “lose” for Christ? I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment