Monday, September 28, 2009

I'm Walking on Sunshine


Woo Hoo! Now let me just tell you that this turned out to be one fine weekend! I’ll just give it to you this way - the Top Ten Reasons this was a fabulous weekend.

1. That most handsome son of ours surprised us with a visit! The reason he came? He didn’t want to miss being with his dad on his birthday. Oh, you just don’t know. Parenting is a tough road to travel sometimes and about the time you think you might have done all of the wrong things, messed them up so bad that one day they’ll be on Jerry Springer throwing a chair at you, they go and do something like this. I think I might have seen a tear in my husband’s eye. My heart sang.
2. My family of five sat together in our worship service yesterday morning. All of us on the same pew, singing, praying, and worshipping together. This hasn’t happened since I don’t know when. We actually were a family of six as Garrett brought home a precious young lady who we enjoyed so much.
3. My dear husband celebrated his 52nd birthday yesterday! While I am tempted to go into the total injustice of why men only get better looking with age, I’ll just suffice it to say that he does. Year after year, when I look at that face I see the most handsome man ever. I see a man who works hard at children, marriage and business. A man who continues to make me laugh like crazy. A man who I love so much.
4. His Bowling Birthday Party! Now, this was a hoot and a half! E and I had decided early in the week that we would do something different for D’s birthday, something we don’t do often. So bowling it was. I even ordered D a bowling shirt, which he wore proudly. Well, he wore it. I’m not sure proudly.
It was girls against guys – me, D’s mom, my girl, and G’s girl . . . against . . . D, D’s dad, my boy and my girl’s hubby. And who do you think won? . . . by a point . . . oh yes, the girls! Only because D’s mom played like a professional. Who knew??? This woman had four strikes! E gave her an application for the bowling league as we left.
5. I just couldn’t decide which one of these was better so the next two are a tie. (this doggone computer won’t let me number them the same but in my mind, these two were created equal). One reason they have to tie is because they happened simultaneously. Okay, first of all – we saw Sugarland in concert Saturday night at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre in Atlanta!! Get this – we were on Row F. Now if my fingers aren’t failing me that means were six rows back from the stage! Oh, have mercy. Many thanks to Jennifer and Kristian (sounds like I know them personally – I don’t) for rocking it out and putting on a fabulous show! I danced like nobody was watching!!
6. Georgia won . . . by a field goal . . . with two seconds left on the clock! Now I’ve just got to tell you this story. This is absolutely the funniest thing. During the entire Sugarland concert D is watching his iphone. He has this app downloaded on it that allows play by play action from ESPN about the Georgia game. It even shows a football field with each team’s field position. It’s the fourth quarter, the score is tied 17-17 and time is running out. D is clearly conflicted as to whether he should watch his phone or the gorgeous Jennifer singing and dancing on that stage! So at this point in the concert they have come back for their encore and if you can imagine the timing, this is the finale – the very last song. At the exact same second the band strikes the first note of “I’m Walking on Sunshine,” Georgia kicks that field goal! I looked over at Darrell and he was dancing like a white man! “High fiving” everyone in sight! Keep in mind this is a man that has stood almost statuesque the entire concert with maybe a foot tapping now and then! But now – he is going crazy! The people around us must have thought that the song held a very special meaning for him! Honestly . . . I thought my water would break!
7. I had Vidalia onion rings from the Varsity. Oh yes I did.
8. The weather yesterday was perfection. After many days of rain and flooding, we saw the sun shine. And shine it did against the most beautiful blue sky you have ever seen.
9. We sang “Oh Great Thou Art” and “Amazing Grace” – both of them in worship yesterday.
10. I was with my family all weekend. Even my precious 84 year old mother went bowling with us yesterday. She didn’t throw a ball but she cheered as everyone else did.


And, that my friends, in my little world is a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment