Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Bulldog Nation

I have to admit this because I believe in no deception. I was not born a Bulldog. Sad, but true. I grew up in the rural corn fields and coal mines of Southern Illinois. While there was a major university within 30 miles of us (the one I graduated from), college football, at least in my family, wasn't a big deal. My dad loved sports and since I am an only child, I watched it all with him. But his personal favorites were the professional teams - the St. Louis Cardinals, which by the way, they should still be - baseball and football. Well, I really don't give a hoot about professional football but boy have I ever grown to love college football. Somehow you just can't live as close as I do to Athens and not be a Bulldog. Granted, some try. There is that other team in Atlanta who well, give our Bulldogs a run for their money. My nephew and some very good friends of G's go there so I really can't bash the bugs. As long as they aren't playing our Bulldogs.

Being a bulldog was a natural fit for me. I love red! So thank the good Lord, the Bulldog"s signature color is red. Now that is a blessing I tell you. Considering the alternatives - neon orange, gold, purple, - now those are fine colors, not just the best for me personally. So, it is a fine day when it is a Game Day and I can proudly wear that red and black. Unless, of course, it is a black out which suits me too. I have a really good friend whose husband is a huge Bulldog fan but there is a problem in that family. This girlfriend doesn't own red or black - well, not much anyway. Let's just say her signature color is brown - all shades of brown and any color that compliments it. Brown is very chic and looks great on her . . . she can rock it! However, it is not, and I repeat not, a bulldog color. I've got to have a talk with her.

Well, tonight is the first home game for the Dawgs. G and D are headed that way. They are pretty pumped to be sitting in a box way above the hedges with some other family members. Many thanks to them for making my men so happy. The Dawgs got off to a rough start last week but after losing two star players to the NFL, what can you do. I still love em. And Mark Richt is the best. So all that's left to say is
Gooooooooooo Dawgs! Sic em!

No comments:

Post a Comment