Saturday, April 17, 2010

Fashion Saturday

No, now don't go getting your hopes up (as if you would) about a new weekly post because well frankly, who has the time. I just happen to have some interest in fashion this week and thought I would share. Because that's what I do, over-share.
You know I do have an on-going love affair with clothes, handbags, jewelry, shoes and the such but it's just one of those things you have to keep in perspective. Over-indulgence in this area could surely be mine but I manage to keep it reeled in in the interest of oh say, things like saving the budget and my marriage. But I just can't help it, I enjoy a cute outfit, great shoes and an oh so darlin handbag. No break through fashion advice here. So there . . . I guess Paris Hilton won't be reading my blog anymore. And more importantly, I may have ruined this blog moment by over analyzing the whole subject.

Okay, well Tuesday afternoon I had a wild hair (and a 20% off shopping pass) so I thought I would drive down to Athens to the Stein Mart. I have hardly shopped for anything new in spring 2010 attire. Hard to believe, I know. For Easter, I wore a jacket and skirt that I had bought for G’s graduation and that was two years ago. But there is a reason for the lack of new purchases. I’ve been trying to lose a few pounds and just didn’t want to buy anything right now. But, I really needed a pick me up and a new top which by the way, a new top = instant pick me up.

And the fact that I hadn’t been to a Stein Mart since we were in Amelia Island in February was reason enough. You do need to know that if you are in Amelia Island and want to go to the Stein Mart, don’t get your hopes up. It’s about half the size of ours here, there were lots of beach-y clothes and no lingerie department. Now the beach-y clothes I understand but seriously, no lingerie department. Every woman within driving distance of a Stein Mart knows they have the best panties in the entire universe for about $5 a pair. I went there that day looking for some and came out sorely disappointed to find them lacking. I bought nothing at their Stein Mart and I think that may be some sort of historical first.


Okay, back to the shopping story. I spontaneously called E since she lives on the way to Athens to see if she wanted to join me. And she did. So off we went in search of new top halfs (or should that be halves? Not sure). Well, maybe it was my frame of mind but I think Stein Mart in Athens has a new buyer and she’s a 70+ year old, very un-hip grandmother. Please do not be offended if you are a 70+ year old grandmother because my children happen to have two very hip ones. My mom and D’s mom are two chic, well dressed women, let me tell you. The two of them could have done a way better job choosing these selections. And I really had an open mind and I’m not that cutting-edge with my clothing choices. However, I would like to look somewhat current and age-appropriate. Can you tell I get really upset if my Stein Mart disappoints me? And they did. However, I’m not ready to throw out the baby with the bath water so I will return to my beloved Stein Mart. To quote Scarlett, “after all . . . tomorrow is another day.”


Look what E got! Oh so cute I had to take a picture. She is using black and white in her guest bedroom. She has a black bed with black and white linens, white dresser, black nightstand. Okay, so she got this absolute cutest black and white tall, square ottoman to double as seating and another nightstand. Space is limited in this room and this was the perfect solution. This is the cutest thing ever!

Oh dear mercy, I’m not sure this story is worth the trouble but anyway, continuing on. I tried on about 19 things and bought four. With the coupon especially, none were a big investment but I liked them and I got the stamp of approval from the fashion critic herself. But it was a struggle to find the cute stuff. E says I may have bought the four cutest things in the whole store. I think she’s right. End of that story. Thank goodness.

But I have one more thing to say. I have to know. Am I the very last woman in America to know that Sara Blakely, the female hero of all women, also known as the founder of Spanx is doing a similar line for Target?? It’s called Assets. I had no idea. I just looked at it on the internet but it’s probably in the stores. Not sure how the price point compares to her Spanx line but if it’s in Target, I’ll assume it is probably less. I can hardly wait to go check it out!

Last thing, I promise. I just read that wearing ¾ length sleeves (as opposed to long sleeves) makes you look 10 pounds thinner! So I’ll talk to ya later – gotta go cut off some sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment