Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Biz of Beauty

Okay, girlfriends, have you ever thought about the amount of hair care and beauty products you own? A couple of weeks ago when D and I went out of town overnight, he put everything he needed toiletry-wise in one of those leather cases which is really about the size of a standard shoe box. Everything. I promise you, I had a huge tote bag full of stuff. This whole thing has been on my mind since. This morning I was taking inventory in the shower - shampoo, conditioner, Dove soap, body wash (both have their distinct purposes), razor, two exfoliators and some "body silk" that has the same scent as my perfume. Okay.

Then I get out of the shower . . . I put on deodorant, self-tanner (still trying to maintain that fake tan you know), body lotion, face lotion, foot lotion (thicker) and perfume and that is all before I put on my underwear. Have mercy. I use four different products just for my teeth. And I haven't even started with my make-up. I counted. I used 12!! (that's a dozen) different products to put my face on. Then I have about five to take it off at night. No wonder this is a gazillion dollar business. Then there is the hair. Oh the hair. Since mine wants to curl up and frizz like the devil with all of this humidity, I have to have products to control such. I use Frizz Away, Frizz Ease or something such as that. Then I have the styling foam, the spray shine, and of course, the hairspray. Not to mention keeping the hands and feet looking presentable. That is a whole other product category. Oh, I just gotta tell you, I am getting risky these days - I tried a new nail color on my fingers: Tropical Punch. I think I liked the name as much as the color. Kinda makes me feel like I need a drink with an umbrella in it.

Is it just me or do you feel this? I think I single-handedly keep the beauty business afloat and I do not use all of the things that are available. If you've ever gone up and down the aisles in a place like Ulta, you know what I'm saying. It is mind boggling. Now, I will tell you that if I had an endless supply of money, I might just buy one of everything and give it a try. Except those lip plumpers. They scare me.

No comments:

Post a Comment