Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend Recap and A Day in the Life

Well, how was every one's Memorial Day weekend? Mine was good. Sunday we gathered for the Annual J and J Foods' Company Picnic at Jaemor Farms and a fun time was had by all. Well, at least I had a good time. My favorite thing was the Best Bagger Contest. This is when an employee from each of the three stores (a competition at each store had already declared a winner) competes for the title of "J and J Foods Best Bagger." Now lest you think this is not an important sport, let me tell you what the winner receives: an all expense paid trip to Orlando in July to compete with other best baggers from all over the state to claim the title of "Georgia's Best Bagger." One of our very own won that title three years ago and got to travel to Las Vegas to vie for the national title. The state winner receives scholarship money. The national winner receives cash and a guest spot on the David Letterman show. So this is serious business. A precious young lady from the downtown Gainesville store won and is preparing to take on the competition in July. We'll be there cheering her on!

Then, yesterday I was all set to go to our town's Memorial Day parade when it came a downpour complete with lightening so they had to cancel it. Very sad. By noon, the sun was shining and it turned out to be a pretty day. The sweetest boy ever decided he wanted to spend the day with his momma and hey, what could I say . . . YES! We went to lunch and then wandered around over at the outlet mall for a little while. Can I just say that everyone who wasn't cooking out or on the lake was at the outlet mall. Not my first pick on where to spend Memorial Day but I would have gone anywhere that boy wanted to go. We came home and I cooked tilapia (for me) and catfish (for the boys). While we were eating we watched the PBS special, The National Memorial Day Concert filmed at the nation's Capitol. I laughed and I cried. It was so very good.

Okay, this started out to be one of those "Day in the Life" posts that I like to do periodically. So I'll do a little of that and finish it up tomorrow.

1. Outside my window . . . it is raining. It's been sunny most of the day which allowed my most handsome of a yard man (my son) to begin pressure washing our driveway. He has been one busy fella around here. Our backyard had taken on the look of Wild Kingdom and he has had his work cut out for him there. He had to take a break from that and decided to do the driveway. It's amazing the difference a little (or alot of) pressure washing makes.

2. I am reading . . . I just downloaded to my Kindle Dorothea Benton Frank's novel, "Plantation." I have read most of her books so when I received the notice from Amazon that she will be releasing her sequel to "Plantation" I realized I hadn't read the first one. So I think I'll start that tonight.

3. I am watching . . . Well, since the big television season has come to an end and the likes of "The Bachelorette" have begun, we've decided that we would continue watching tv, just shows we want to see. Which is why we are one disc away from finishing the first season of "Castle." We just got hooked on this show this season. This is the second season and our anal selves wanted to start at the beginning and get all the background on these characters. Richard Castle and Kate Beckett - we adore you. So our many thanks to Netflix who supplies us with our tv fix every three days. Between Netflix arrivals I "get" to watch the Braves which, since they just went from worst to first in the NL East standings, isn't so bad especially when John Smoltz is in the announcers booth. Love that Smoltzy.

4. I am wearing . . . Well, I could write endlessly about this for some reason. I found the CUTEST denim skirt at Marshall's the other night and it was $16.99 and I should have bought two because it is the cutest denim skirt ever. I told my good friend about it because I thought she needed one too. Because if I get something I think everyone should have one and they should know what a bargain it is. I don't know why. It is a sickness. So, I have on that denim skirt with a white eyelet top. Very cool and summery.

5. I am listening . . . My son has got me listening to three country artists and I rotate between their three CDs in my car. The first is Chris Young. He was the very first performer before Josh Turner who was before Alan Jackson at the concert. The other two are Eric Church and Jason Aldean. All fine voices. Not a fan of every single song but overall, good stuff. I also downloaded a few podcasts to my iphone. I had never even tried that until a few weeks ago and now I'm hooked. So far I've listened to Francis Chan and Andy Stanley's messages which are a little more than this feeble mind can absorb sometimes but I try.

More tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment