Sunday, June 27, 2010

Weekend WrapUp

It's Sunday night and I'm finally putting my feet up for the first time this weekend it seems like. It's been a good one full of good things.

Here is a photo of the first thing I did Saturday morning. I met E and N downtown to welcome home a local group of National Guardsmen called Charlie Company who returned just over a month ago after a year-long stay in Afghanistan. A short parade was organized for them as they marched from the Armory to the local mall for a ceremony held in their honor. Hundreds of us lined the streets to cheer, wave flags and welcome them home. These men are heroes in my book.

After that, I headed down toward Atlanta to the Discover Mill's location of Books a Million to see one of my favorite Southern authors, Dorothea Benton Frank. She told us we could call her Dottie. :) I've told you about her before when I was reading her book, "Plantation" and now she is promoting the sequel to it, "Low Country Summer." She told stories and answered questions. She was simply delightful! Just a good ole Southern girl!


After that I drove back home and waited for my sweet husband to get home from work so we could go meet our girl and her hubby for supper. I just can't tell you the joy I get from table conversation with my children. I swear, they are the coolest people even if they are mine. To encourage any of you out there with small children, and I say this all the time, be your children's parent when they're young because the reward of being their friend will be great when they are adults. Oh I love them so.

This morning, D was scheduled to make a presentation to the above-mentioned Charlie Company. We went to the armory where he was allowed to make a short speech and presentation during their assembly time. All three of our store locations held a special promotion during the month of May where customers were able to purchase select products and with vendor support, a portion of the sales went towards our donation. The donation was made to the Georgia National Guard Family Support Foundation in honor of Charlie Company.

After that and a quick lunch at home, we decided that water and sun sounded like a great idea. This was my view for the better part of the afternoon. I happen to like this scenery.



Reason #386 that I love my iphone. Using the maps app, wherever you are, the iphone can find your location. We were headed toward Gainesville Marina by boat so we were tracking our progress so as not to make a wrong turn. That little dark blue dot on the light blue water is us. Land is in white. I'm just amazed at such technology I tell you.



Okay, we are just this corny - taking our own picture.


And we were having a great time, until this became our scenery. The back of these Good Samaritan's boat who came by to tow us to the marina after the starter-something quit on the boat engine. Yep, stranded we were. Thankfully we were in short sight of the marina.

They towed us to the gas dock where a good friend of ours, after D's desperate phone call, came to meet us to try to get us started again. To no avail. We had to leave the boat at the marina. But I sat there (while they worked) enjoying the beauty of my surroundings. And it was beauty to be sure.





So those are the highlights of my weekend. Seems like I did a hundred other things but I don't need to bore you with those. Oh, except that I did go to Target yesterday morning after the parade and they are having a whale of sale in their shoe department. Target has cute sandals. Yes, I bought some. And they are cute. And they were cheap. Two things I really like.



No comments:

Post a Comment