Friday, June 25, 2010

Thankful Thursday

Well, I would have posted on Thursday except for the fact that I was under a deadline and I went for an little overnighter with my husband. Lest you think I forgot.

About the deadline. I've been asked to submit an article for our local wedding magazine, Soirees Southern Events. When you write for a real live publication (no offense meant to the blog), it means that your verbs must match your nouns, that they have to be the same tense (which makes me tense), that you have to have all of your punctuation in the right place and that you cannot by any stretch of the imagination, leave a participle dangling. Oh the pressure. I am not an English major which might explain why I worked right up to the deadline on this project. But, it's finished and sent to the publisher. I sure do hope she likes it and it makes it into print. Then I will be a published author. And that would be kinda cool.

After the radio show yesterday, D and I loaded up the truck and we moved to Beverleeeee. I'm so sorry . . . I just couldn't resist that. Too many years of the Hillbillies. Okay. So, we packed up the truck and headed down to Atlanta. D had a business trip; I had a pleasure trip. I got to enjoy a great dinner at Stoney River at the Cobb Galleria and the most wonderful bed and set of pillows I think I've ever laid on. He got to get up this morning and go to a meeting. I got to sleep in and leisurely work on my Bible study. I had huge plans to head over to the Barnes and Noble next door and walk up and down every aisle, but it was not meant to be. He sent me a text just as I was leaving the hotel that he was done with his meeting - three hours earlier than expected. That's okay. Because he took me to lunch at a great little restaurant called "Lime" that served fajitas and all was well with the world.

So, to the business at hand. Thankful Thursday! on Friday. Today I'm thankful for rain. I was just leaving the radio station and the bottom fell out. I'm soaked and the sweet man that walked me to my car was too. My umbrella, of course, was in the car.
I love to sleep, read, write, study, cook, and watch movies when it rains. Love it. Honestly, on rainy days I could just curl up in a chair with a good book and totally be content all day long.

If you remember, we went out on the lake Sunday night for a boat ride. I just had to smile as I thought about how that just a little more than a year ago, after several years of drought conditions, the predictions were for the lake to take seven years to come back to full pool. Seven whole years.
The summer of 2008 was brutal. Almost all of our county park's docks were closed, marinas were on dry land and the activity that usually surrounds our beautiful lake was virtually non-existent.
The summer of 2009 was some better. The lake hovered around ten feet below full pool most of the summer. Again, the predictions of returning to normal levels were dire.
Summer of 2010:
Let me just put it this way: But God. But God didn't see it that way. But God didn't listen to man's predictions. But God didn't wait seven years. But God filled our lake in a little over a year. Only God.

It reminds me of this verse in Isaiah:
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts
and neither are your ways my ways
declares the Lord.
As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
than my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9


So life is good on our lake. It not only provides us great fun and beauty but it is a huge economic boost to our area. So rain, you just come on down. You just nourish our earth and fill our lake because, to quote one of my favorite singers, Luke Bryan . . . "rain is a good thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment